Chapter 6: The Confession

Grace rapidly turned around, silently pleading that the boy didn't see her.

"Grace!" Noah called. The sound of footsteps shuffling through the grass approached her ears.

The Gryffindor whipped around to face him, her brows pinched together in annoyance.

"No," she started, taking a step closer. "Don't try to talk to me. Don't try to ask me what's wrong. Don't act like you care when we both know that you don't!" Shooting him a glare, she continued, "Why are you even out here? Stalking me?"

"You were the one behind me, sweetheart. I was out here first."

"Sweetheart?" Grace scoffed. "You-"

"And don't think I haven't noticed your swollen eyes."

"Just becau-"

"And don't you dare try to tell me it's from allergies."

"Would you stop interrupting me?!" Grace yelled, groaning. "Merlin, you're one of the most frustrating people to be around!"

"Oh, and you're just always so delightful..." Noah retorted, the sarcasm so thick that Grace could feel its weight in the air.

Ouch.

That one kind of hurt.

It was hard to be all light and happy when you had just been-

"So, anything you'd like to share?" he asked, an impatient eyebrow soaring up.

"Yeah. You're a dick...and a nosy one at that," shot Grace.

"Well, maybe if I annoy you enough, you'll actually fess up." Noah took a step closer.

"I have nothing to confess to you-"

"Cut the bullshit, Grace. I'm tired of it!" he demanded, raising his hands in irritation.

Instinctively, Grace threw up her arms to protect herself from a slap or a punch that she was so used to having come her way from months of being by Ryan's side.

Noah's eyes flashed with concern and he slowly lowered his arms.

"Did you really think I was going to hurt you?" His voice was quieter, and she thanked him mentally for putting away any hint of a threatening tone.

Grace stayed silent, her eyes closed tightly shut, and her hands still shielded herself.

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," he proceeded gently. Noah, attempting to lower her arms, carefully wrapped his hands around her wrists.

A sharp gasp escaped Grace's lips.

"Shhh. It's fine. We're just having fun."

Strong hands pinned her wrists to either side of her, pushing her deeper into the bed.

Every inch she moved, her body would ache. Her limbs, her stomach, her hips, her wrists. His weight on her was overwhelming. She tried to wiggle free of his grasp, but that only made him hold her wrists with more force.

"Stop fighting me, Grace."

"Grace," a voice mumbled, coming from a million lightyears away.

"Grace," it said again, this time more clearly.

When she opened her eyes, Noah was standing in front of her, his hands no longer near her. In fact, he seemed to be a few steps away now.

Grace pulled herself back to reality; back to the current situation, recollecting her thoughts.

"You can't just touch me like that," she voiced softly.

"I'm sorry," answered Noah.

"You're not."

"Why do you think so poorly of me?"

"Because you're friends with him!" Grace's eyes glossed over.

The girl watched Noah carefully, searching for a reaction. When he didn't respond, she scoffed, shaking her head.

"I know that you're well aware of who I'm talking about, so why are you holding back? Do you need me to say it?" Her volume increased. Grace had had enough. "Do you need me to?" Tears pooled in her eyes.

Noah's eyes were full of uneasiness, but he didn't dare speak.

"Ryan Carrow hits me! He abuses me! He punches and slaps me and twenty minutes ago he-" Grace stopped, not bothering to wipe her tear-stained cheeks as she took a deep breath. Saying the word would only confirm that it was true. But it was true. It was just hard because that meant she had to come to terms with it.

Once she said that word, it became real.

"He raped me."

Those words came out in a sharp whisper, cutting through her vocal chords.

"Grace-" Noah started, taking a step closer to her.

"No." Grace shook her head, backing up a few steps. "No," she repeated more firmly. "You're friends with him. You try to figure me out and pretend like you're actually concerned with my wellbeing, but I saw you praising him."

"What?" he asked, confusion etched across his face.

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. When we were at breakfast and Ryan made up that lie that we had slept together after the party, you just cheered along with the rest of them," she stated, her eyes narrowed as she paced forward until she was closer to him.

"And that makes you just as bad as he is," spat Grace, tearing her gaze off him as she stalked away, leaving Noah in the looming darkness.