the nightingale - part 1 [Legolas]

[Published: 11

[Published: 11.01.2021]

Well, good day to you, my friends. I hope you are all doing well. Thank you to CinnamonBun-Bun for requesting this! I hope you enjoy this! Xx

- ♛𝒍𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒂𝒔♛

Her voice floated through the air, the soft melody caressing the ears of all that heard it. Her hushed words were gentle and honeyed, her voice filled with timidity. Yet she sang till her voice croaked, or till a yawn escaped her. It was only in those moments, she felt free. The world could sometimes be so restricting; the sound of her own voice reminded she was in control. That despite the confines of these hallways, (Y/N) was free.

She had sang in the darkness of the night for years now. It had started when her mother had Mirkwood; her father did not possess the soothing voice that the elven woman did. So, on the nights she missed her mother so, she'd crawl out from under her covers, and creep out onto the balcony. She would look out into the vastness of the brush of trees, and wonder where her mother was. What she was doing.

She would wonder why she left them.

And before she began crying, she'd open her mouth and sing. Sweet melody, soft and invigorating. She'd sing to herself, night after night, the same lullaby her mother had sang to her. That stopped the tears. It blocked the pain like a shield, and kept it locked away. And for years, that was how it would be. It was soothing to her, to listen to a voice akin to her mother's.

She did this for some years, in the confines of her own chambers, singing to her hearts content. It was just enough to keep her going. These rhymes were her of keeping the memories with her mother happy. Over time, (Y/N) made them her own, and she eventually went on to sing songs she had written herself. It became a private hobby.

These past few nights, however, she did not feel alone. She'd always sing in the dead of the night, when no one was awake and when no one would disturb her. She'd never sang to her father; he couldn't bare to hear an voice so similar to his wife's. She wasn't comfortable singing for anyone else. But these last few nights, she had thought someone was listening. She could feel a presence out there in the land, nodding their head to the tune of her voice. She was all right with it, in all honesty. As long as they only listened, and did not confront her about it, she was fine for anyone to listen.

Some nights she'd go out of her chambers, and into the gardens of Mirkwood, her voice drifting through the cool air as she gazed down at the flowers that danced in the wind.

It was one night, where she was strolling, that she felt eyes upon her. She turned hastily, lowering her words to a whisper.

I have a question
It might seem strange
How are your lungs?
Are they in pain?

'Cause mine are aching
Think I know why
I kinda like it though
You wanna try?

Oh, would you be so kind
As to fall in l--

Out from the shadows came a figure, hastily trudging through brush to emerge in the moonlight. (Y/N) gasped, stepping back as the blonde elf laid his eyes on her. His icy stare made her nervous, and she bowed her head out of respect.

"Prince Legolas. I- I..."

"Are you the one who has been singing?" he mumbled.

(Y/N) flushed. "I'm not sure what you mean sire."

Legolas opened his mouth to speak, but paused, noticing the woman's timidity. He cursed his brashness. "I...I'm sorry, milady. I did not mean to intrude or...or to impose whatever you were doing. I apologise..."

"It's quite all right, sire," she said with a smile.

"What exactly are you doing this late at night, anyway?"

"I couldn't sleep. Thought a walk might clear my mind."

"Ah, I see."

"What about you, sire? Why are you awake?" she asked with a quizzical look.

The prince smiled nervously. "I'm just, er...I'm just taking a stroll. Just like you."

"Were you looking for someone, sire?"

"I...I was, I guess. I'm so sorry, where are my manners? What is your name?"

"Oh," she said, "(Y/N), my lord."

She was about to curtsey, when the prince took her by the hand and pressed a soft kiss to her knuckles. She knew it was out of formality, but it didn't make her cheeks burn any less.

"Lovely to meet you, (Y/N). I can only assume you know who I am..."

"Y-yes. I...didn't you say something about singing, sir?"

He sighed, dropping her hand to her disappointment. "Yes, I...I did. This last month, a voice has travelled to my ears each and every night. When I cannot sleep, it...it comforts me. I hadn't thought much of it, at first. But the more heard it, the more curious I became. These last two days, I've been trying to find the nightingale who sings such soft melodies."

"Is...is this nightingale a good singer, sire?"

"Good doesn't do her justice. But I seemed to have lost the trail of her voice..."

(Y/N) blushed. The prince of Mirkwood like her singing. Her singing. It was rather astonishing to hear. So long had singing been a private, intimate matter, that she had not considered its quality, nor whether people would want to listen to it. But to hear that the great Legolas Thranduillion admired her voice was praise enough.

With a smile on her face, she opened her mouth to sing. She averted her eyes, as to avoid embarrassment.

I carry the time we don't talk

In a back packLeave it on the side with the nights you didn'tCall me backAnd all the ideas, and the hopeI'd never ask him forI'll throw them away, it's okay, without aSecond thought

When she had finished, she looked back at the prince. His eyes were filled with awe, as he stared with veneration at her. She felt seen for the very first time in years; like she had been a shadow, and now light had been poured over her.

"It was you."