loved ones [Legolas]

[Published: 28

[Published: 28.03.2021]

Thanks to PureBloodMischief for requesting this! I really liked the concept, it seemed so adorable and so cute! Again, requests are open, so if you have one please do comment or pm me! Don't be shy! Also, I'm sorry for not being very active. I've been really busy these last few months, but I'm seeming to get back on top of things now. Hopefully I'll be able to get out oneshots more often. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy! Xx

Legolas sniffed, the chilly air catching him by surprise

Legolas sniffed, the chilly air catching him by surprise. He wasn't ill; it was virtually impossible for elves to be ailed. But his heart was heavy from the days of running, and the days without his love were slowly taking its toll.

"Legolas?" The dreary elf looked up from his bow in his lap, finding Boromir staring down at him. There was concern in his eyes. "Are you all right?"

"Fine, fine. Why do you ask?"

"You look forlorn, Thranduil's son."

"I am not."

With a sigh, the steward's son leaned back, but beckoned. "Come then. Aragorn has finished making supper. Food might do away with that frown."

A smile tugged at his lips, and so the elf stumbled up to the rest of the fellowship. He sat among the halflings, he dished out plates and poured out the stew among each other. In some sense, they were like children, fighting over a morsel when there was an entire loaf. He had to instruct all of them to sit down and behave themselves, before the stew was spilt over the floor and rendered inedible. Finally, when their bickering had stopped, they enjoyed the gentle fragrance and the delectable taste of their meal. It was silent as they ate, allowing the warmth of the stew to steep through them, and ease them out of the arduous day.

It was towards the end of the meal, they started to talk once more. The hobbits first remarked of how silent it was, and how in Hobbiton food was always accompanied by song and merriment. Pippin and Merry offered to get up and do a dance, but Gimli ardently declined it. It was then, their faces lowered.

"I miss the Shire," Samwise mumbled, placing his bowl into his lap. "The world out here is danker, darker."

"I miss just seeing everyone," Frodo said. "Out here, I feel so alone. Its only us nine against the vast world, and..." The hobbit couldn't finish, and began scraping the bottom of the bowl with his spoon, trying to get the last bit of stew out.

"I understand it must be hard for you all," Legolas said calmly. Their gazes all landed on him; he wasn't the one that was expected to give words of comfort. "It's difficult to leave your family and all that you know...especially in times like these, and for a cause so fatal."

"You speak as if you've experienced it," Boromir said warily.

"I have. Or rather...am." He rubbed his arm, as if he was shielding or comforting himself. He slanted his body away from the fellowship, their gaze penetrating.

"Your father?"

"No. Though I care for him, our relationship would not be hindered by distance."

"...are you courting anyone?"

"A bit beyond that, actually. I have a wife. And a son."

Their mouths dropped open, their expressions trapped between horrified and ecstatic. Gimli grumbled, trying to hide that he was glad for his friend. Aragorn could not shake his confusion, and Boromir was the only one sane enough to congratulate him. The hobbits did not utter a word, seemingly excepting the news without much thought.

"What's her name?" Pippin asked.

"(Y/N) (L/N). And my son's name is Callon. He is only a toddler, but I see glimpses as to what a warrior he'll become. I miss him...I miss them both very much."

"How do you and your wife meet?"

The elf smiled. "We'd known each other for quite some years. I travelled quite a bit, so we didn't get much time to time together. But one year, I managed to stay in Mirkwood. We spent time together, and in the end, we realised we loved each other. Before the year was up, we were married."

"That sounds lovely!" Frodo said, smiling.

"I have to say, I didn't take you as a romantic, Legolas," Aragorn finally said, smirking.

"Believe it or not, mellon, there are plenty of things you don't know about me."

"How old is your son?"

"He is nine years old. In human years, he is just over three years old."

"What's he like?"

"Absolutely amazing. I can scarce believe he's my son, he's so...so smart."

A proud expression crossed his face, full of vigour and unashamedly bright. Legolas wasn't always the most expressive person in the world- even in the depths of his passions, it was hard to tell how he felt. But the hobbits saw the joy in his face when he thought of Callon. 

"He's lucky to have a father like you then," Merry said. "Someone who loves him as much as you do."

"Believe me when I say I'm the lucky the one. I don't know what I did to deserve either of them. (Y/N) gave up a lot to be with me; she left Lothlórien behind. She left her family, she left her friends...all to be with me." His voice cracked, and he looked away. "I miss her. And my son."

Merry stepped up, patting the elf on the shoulder. The elf had broken his stoic mask, but he knew anything beyond brotherly affection would probably shut Legolas back down. "We miss our families too. And out home."

"I miss my ol' gaffer...and Rosie."

"I miss Bilbo."

"I just miss the Shire. The rolling hills, the little streams, the little holes in the grounds."

Legolas nodded his head. "I guess that's why I do all this; because I miss them. I fight harder, so I can go back home sooner. So I can hold them, embrace them, tell them how much I really love them. Truth is, I don't think I told--"

He cut himself off, realising he was droning on. He never liked being the centre of attention- and with all eyes on him, he felt exposed. He cleared his throat suddenly, and took to his feet. "Excuse me. I'm...I'm going to go for a walk."

Whilst the other halflings protested, Frodo watched quietly as the elf disappeared into the forest. He knew he was shy, so didn't want to bother the blond anymore. "Sam, Merry, stop. You have to understand, it's probably hard for him."

"Maybe if he talked more about it, it wouldn't be like that!"

"Merry, just leave it for now. I think all Legolas wants now is some quiet time to think of his loved ones alone."