just a moment more [Faramir]

[Published: 30.07.2020]

Boromir rode off to Rivendell, with his brother and his best friend watching. The two sighed at the sight of him, melancholy to see him go, but hopeful for his return. The two hadn't even realised their fingers had intertwined. Faramir shook his head, trying to shake off the feeling of transparency, as his father's words replayed in his head.

"Don't worry, Faramir," (Y/N) whispered, looking off into the distance, "Your father will see your worth as your brother does...and as I do," the Stuart's son turned to her, and smiled weakly. He opened his mouth to reply, before pausing at the sight of their hands together. The man squinted, before blushing. (Y/N), flummoxed, gently removed her fingers from his, and placed them behind her back.

"Thank you," he finally said, with a weak smile, "I hope he will, one day. My father can be... stubborn,"

"Please, Faramir; you must be joking!"

"No; but please, enlighten me," the man said, seemingly amused, crossing his arms.

"This isn't a joke, Faramir! You deserve no less than your brother!"

"And I'm wondering now why my brother's best friend is being far too supportive of the wrong brother,"

"Faramir..."

"Look, I appreciate your concern, (Y/N); but nothing is going to change my fathers mind, nor will anything sway his opinions. That's just something I need to except, no matter how wrong that truth is."

"How can you possibly do that?" she asked incredulously, crossing her arms. "Perhaps because I'm not as stubborn as you are," he smiled, raising an eyebrow. The girl blushed, turning away.

"Don't worry about me, (Y/N); all we need to worry about is Boromir..."

"Boromir will do fine! He always does fine! I'm sick of you using your brother as an excuse- now you can prove yourself rather than letting your father push you around!"

"He doesn't push me around!"

"Oh please, Faramir! I have known you as long as I've known your brother, and I have watched you being tossed aside, being disregarded, being ignored; it's not even like you're his son, you're just a shadow of your brother, an entity that exists to make the excuse that Boromir is worthy of all praise. You know how sick that is? How painful it is to watch someone being cast away like that?"

"What can be done, then? How can I rebel against my own father? How can I ask him to love me, to care for me, to teach me?! We are far past the stage of toys and stories, we are in a time of adulthood and war, we can't focus on such things!"

(Y/N) looked at him with melancholy; her anger melted away, to reveal her sensitive side. Her mind could not find a suitable response, so she merely stared at him with sad eyes, chewing her lip in sorrow. Faramir breathed heavily, the sudden outburst leaving him breathless; he struggled, as he felt as if his lungs were being crunched. His eyes stung with tears, but he bit his lip in agitation, trying desperately to keep his emotions in order- he couldn't let his mind be known to the world. He couldn't let them see how broken he was.

Especially not (Y/N).

"Faramir," he heard her softly mumble, as he felt her come closer- he avoided eye contact. His lips quivered, and he fisted his shaking hands. Gulping, he grimaced at the dryness of his throat. He felt his eyes ache, as he tried desperately to stop himself from crying. "Faramir," she whispered again, her breaths on his neck, her hands intertwined with his. He refused to look at her; she couldn't see him like this. Not when he was out of control, not when his world was crashing down. He relaxed his shoulders slightly at her touch, however- he found her presence soothing, comforting.