the last goodbye [Frodo]

[Published: 30.07.2020]

"He's leaving," Merry mumbled in her ear. There was a deafening silence, and her (E/C) eyes locked with Frodo's twinkling cyan orbs; they were full of fear. If only she could comfort him- if only.

"(Y/N)!" Pippin muttered, shaking at her shoulder; she was pulled out of her trance, and looked in confusion at her two friends.

"We have to do something!" Merry said, jumping out into the open, followed by the other. (Y/N) looked at them in horror, as they screamed for goblins to follow them. She looked back to Frodo, her eyes brimming with tears, before mouthing a single word.

"Go."

Though in his eyes, he was reluctant, and wanted to fight on, he knew it was no use. Although, in his heart, he wanted to stay with the girl, he could not get carried away with his feelings; he had to go. For the safety of Middle-Earth. For the fellowship.

For (Y/N).

He nodded, biting at his quivering lip, before turning away, and darting down the forest. He refrained from looking back; one look at her would make him stop, and put them all back in danger. He scampered through winding trees, skidding against fallen leaves and the sodden soil, attempting not to cry.

(Y/N) watched as Frodo disappeared from sight; she sighed, knowing it would be unlikely for their eyes to fall upon each other again. Warm tears spilled down her cheeks, and she did her best to wipe them away. Gasping for air, she chuckled to herself- it was only now she was crying? After all they had endured?

She could not bring herself to cry in front of everyone when Gandalf died before; she had to weep in solitude, in the nights of Lóthlorien. But now; after Frodo had decided to venture to Mordor alone? Why would it bring her such sadness? She had no clue as to why- and for now she did not care.

The horn of Gondor.

"Borimir!" she gasped, finally drying her tears, and revealing her sword.

She followed the sound, eventually reaching the sight, in which the Stewart's son was fighting for his life. (Y/N) let out a screech, attempting to determine herself, before attacking. The blade hummed through the air, before crashing against another blade. She fought valiantly, injuring, perhaps slewing a few Ura Kai, before Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli came to her aid.

She then watched Borimir being pierced by three arrows, and Merry and Pippin being taken.

Gasping, she was the first to reach Borimir, her hand grasping his.

"They took the little ones," he gasped, choking on his own breath.

"Hold still," she murmured, her hand landing on his cheek, "Please," her other hand drifted to the arrows.

"Leave it!" he cried, "(Y/N), please..." he gasped, before regaining strength, "Where is Frodo?" the girl refrained from showing her sadness.

"We let him go," Aragorn replied, kneeling beside the two.

"Then you did what I could not," he choked- his cheek was growing cold.

"I tried taking the ring from him," he whispered.

"Borimir..." (Y/N) mumbled, "Please, just let me..." her hand was around one arrow now; she readied herself to pull. "(Y/N)," Aragorn softly said, placing a hand on her shoulder, "He has stated his wish; let him be," the girl was stubborn; she would not have it.

"Borimir, I won't let you-"

"Please, (Y/N)," Borimir pleaded, "Please," he was positively surprised, to see tears streaming down her face.

Aragorn said his last goodbyes to his friend, before Borimir was gone.

Frodo looked on to the shore of the great river, tears streaming down his face. How could he do this? How could a Hobbit do such a mission? How could he leave (Y/N)? His heart thumped at the thought of her; he hadn't seen her smile once since the fellowship had departed. He missed her smile. He missed everything about her- even if she was metres away.

He looked down to the ring; that wretched ring. He had to do this. It was as Gandalf said; he had to decide what to do with the time he had. His hand clenched, and he placed the ring in his pocket. Not wanting to rethink his choice, he instantly darted to a boat and began rowing.

Perhaps he would see his dear (Y/N) again. Perhaps he'd confess his feelings for her. Perhaps she would reciprocate; but that was now in the impossible. He was to destroy the ring, and save everyone on this earth.

Including her.

He remembered finally the last time he saw her smiling; she was beautiful. If he did this, and succeeded, he knew the world would be once more lighted by her incredible smile.

Even if he wasn't there to see it.