river dance [Thorin]

Thank you to Starksundeaddaughter for requesting this oneshot! I hope you like it! I only have one more oneshot left to publish before requests are back open! Xx

She sat at the bank of the river, combing through her hair with her fingers. The robes she wore glistened in the light of the sun, as if they were made from gold. Her toes dipped in and out of the river beneath, as she balanced the balls of her feet on the surface. Tying her hair behind her head, she took to her feet.

In her hands, balanced a small, metal box, with a lever by the side. She twisted it once, twice, thrice- till her arm tired. Flipping the top open, a soft melody hummed from the box. She was washed over by contentment, and placed the music box to the floor. She found herself, as she always did, clasping the amulet around her neck. She then stepped onto the water.

It was hard to balance on the water. It wasn't as calm as it usually was- the water gurgled through her toes. But (Y/N) was always up for a challenge. Twirling, she moved her way across the surface of the river, moving in time to the tune of her music box. 

Nymphs had been perceived to be ancient beings. They wiser and older than the elves- perhaps even the world itself. They were not only protectors of the wild- they were it themselves. Roaming freely for centuries, they had lived like queens among the grasses and the meadows. There, they hid in plain sight, aiding and hindering the lives of men and elves alike.

(Y/N) was not as ancient- she recalled growing up alongside Galadriel, the Lady of Lothlórien. But that was long ago- she was now isolated in this corner of the earth. All she had left of her people was the box of melody and the silver amulet.

Loosing her balance, she splashed slightly, slipping under the cold water. She gasped, but managed to regain balance. She skidded over the surface, jumping and moving her arms elegantly. The river calmed itself, a lulled gently along with her, swirling and splashing to the tune as well.

Her heart stopped at the sound of footsteps. She stumbled, finding her way back to shore. Her robes loss their shine, flowering into a rich green as she touched ground. (Y/N) had meant to bend down to reach her music box, to be faced with a company of fourteen dwarves. She had not met dwarves before. By their expressions and the weapons on their sides, they meant harm.

The dwarf at the front, the one with the dark hair, stared gormless as her, utterly stupefied. He gazed down at her feet, and his grip loosened at his sword. She knew, then- he had seen her walk on water.

"What sort of sorceress are you?" a white-bearded dwarf cried.

(Y/N) twitched, taking a step back onto the water.

"Did you not hear me?!"

She flicked her wrist. The river mounted, waters rising from the depths like a panther rousing at dawn. It swirled around her, encasing her in a cyan cocoon. When the river returned to its usual state, the nymph was nowhere to be in sight.