victory [Legolas]

Her heart pounded as he approached, bloody and bruised, but his head on his shoulders and a tired smile on his face. She dropped her blade, and ran to him, engulfing him in a hug. They were both sweating profusely, were covered in mud and blood, and were exhausted from the battle.

"We won," (Y/N) whispered softly, needing to say it aloud to believe it. "Sauron has really been defeated."
"It's all over," he whispered to her, "It's ended." They stayed there for a while, holding each other desperately, not knowing what to do when they parted from the embrace.

Both (Y/N) and Legolas had been born in times of war. They had not known peace like this in their entire existence. They had met on a battlefield, quite a few decades ago. During the battle of the five armies, an elf had caught Legolas's eye. He admired her fierceness and determination as she fought. When he told his father of this, the king of Mirkwood believed his son had been bewitched. To be candid, that was not too far from the truth. When Legolas was requested to find Aragorn, he asked if (Y/N) would accompany him. She gladly excepted, regarding it more of an honour rather than understanding the prince's feelings.

It took her some time to catch onto his feelings. She hadn't experienced love before, now did she intend to. Her life was dedicated to the way of her blade, and she refused to turn her back on battle. Her parents had perished war. One of her few memories with them was them teaching her how to properly wield a sword. She could hear their words of encouragement with every swing, slowly allowing her to improve over time.

The two travelled the lengths of Middle-Earth, running after the Dunedain named Strider, whom was harder to find than originally anticipated. Legolas, in an attempt to impress the uninterested (Y/N), tried tracking the mysterious man. Strider was in fact untrackable, and Legolas was left feeling sheepish.

Soon after, they were sought after by armies of orcs. Through the night, they were chased through the forests, across fields and grassy meadows, trudging through swamps and hiding in caves. When they battled, they fought valiantly and stubbornly. It was then, that Legolas was reminded why he had fallen for (Y/N). Then he realised, he had fallen in love with her. He couldn't keep his eyes off her half the time. He couldn't help but be intrigued when she spoke, and he always offered his kindness and advice.

Their friendship was fairly strong when they finally encountered the infamous Strider, who introduced himself as Aragorn. Aragorn was very intriguing to (Y/N). He was compassionate, gallant, brave and determined, yet he maintained a humbleness that she had not seen before. He made her feel as if she, he and Legolas were equals, despite their differences in race, culture, gender and upbringing. Aragorn made her feel at ease.

No wonder Legolas was brimming with jealousy.

They spent many months together, just the three of them, talking, travelling and fighting alongside each other. Though Legolas was beyond jealous of (Y/N) and Aragorn's close relationship, he was willing, but reluctant, to let her be happy with Aragorn, if that was what she wished. But the more minutes that he spent with her, the more he yearned for her. He wanted to love her, to be there when she needed him, to be there when he needed her. But as the days went on with Aragorn and her, he felt she was slowly drifting further and further away from his grasp.

He was losing her.

Then he almost lost her.

It was the middle of the night. They thought they were safe, so camped out in the open. Then the screams of the orcs woke them at dusk, and the sea of steel blades rained down on them. Legolas thought, at first, she was handling herself perfectly. With such poise, with such elegance, yet with so much might and brutality. He wondered how someone could balance the two so perfectly.

That was when he was stabbed. They all were injured gravely, and none of them believed they would make it. Aragorn was the only one left remotely functional, and managed to heal them both back to health.

It was during this time, that (Y/N) and Legolas rediscovered each other. Their friendship deepened, and Legolas found himself spiralling out of control. He was losing his mind, being with her, yet being so far away. He, being too concerned about his own feelings, had not noticed the faint blush that had appeared in her cheeks.

Luckily, Aragorn had.

But it was not to be. Their years together were over, for Strider and Legolas were needed elsewhere, for matters that didn't concern a citizen such as (Y/N). So they all parted, sadly, tearfully. Legolas had looked upon (Y/N) for the last time, wanting to hold her and tell her how much he cared for her, and had to hold back. When he was finally alone, he found himself pacing in his chambers, distraught. He didn't know if she reciprocated his feelings, but that didn't matter. It was a privilege just knowing her, let alone courting him.

He wondered what she would have said to him. Would she have denied with such passion, that he would be left heartbroken till the end of days? Would she had declined politely, and asked only of friendship? Did he dare think...that she'd except? That she'd agree to court him, and wrap her arms around him and say she loved him? He was mistaken. That must be impossible. She was too good for him, that was clear. Of course she would decline and walk away, why would she want him?

Aragorn watched as Legolas descended into self-pity. He felt sorry for him, yet also was rather frustrated with how the whole affair had ended. They were imbeciles for believing they couldn't be together.

(Y/N) handled the situation a little better, since she had not fallen quite as hard for Legolas- at least that was what she would admit. Though she still thought of him as a friend, she managed to find something about him about everything. She often replayed their conversations in her head, smiling at the recollection of his smooth, soft voice, as it rang tastefully through her ears. Though she did feel like she was missing something, she didn't bother too much about it. The memories, and the feeling of him near just put her at ease.

Then the ring.

Both (Y/N) and Legolas were part of the fellowship of the ring. There, they rekindled their friendship and feelings, and managed to make fools of themselves in front of the others. Aragorn found himself smiling at the two, as they stumbled through sentences and flushed red.

Then, that day came. They were in Gondor, and the two sat outside, with bowls in their hands, eating at the sky was painted with pink and yellow hues. They smiled sheepishly, and scarcely spoke, but there was something very distinct in that moment. It was a force greater than both of them, and it pulled them together like magnets, till they were forced to splurge their secrets.

Legolas placed down his bowl and spoon, and looked directly at the woman, gulping. He had not felt this afraid since he was a child. "(Y/N)," he whispered. "We've known each other for quite some time, haven't we?"
"Yes, we have. Over fifty years."
"Well, I admit, I have not been honest with you. And considering this predicament, with Sauron and the ring, I wish to confess."
"Well, of course! What is it?"

Again, he gulped. He could speak perfectly fine earlier- how was so hard not to choke on these words? "When I first asked you to accompany me, I chose you because I admired you. You're an incredible fighter, (Y/N). But when I did, I found myself more intrigued. You were interesting, fascinating, you spoke with such vigour and confidence. You're not afraid to speak your mind. You're stubborn, but you're strong."
"Legolas...why are you telling me this?"

"Should these be mine, or our last days...I want you to know that I love you. I have and always will."

In an instant, she wrapped her arms around him, embracing him tighter than he could ever imagine. "Don't say that, Legolas..."
"I only wanted you to know if it were. I'm here now," he whispered, cradling her head.
"Legolas, my dear...I love you too."

And with those words, the two were prepared to face death, knowing that the one they loved had reciprocated.

They had not expected to still be there after the battle. From all the blood shed, they stood there, no longer as soldiers but as lovers, on the day of Sauron's defeat. Their hug lasted many minutes, as they gripped each other tightly, not wanting to leave the safety of each other's grasp. Their future was uncertain and undecided, but it was to be bright one without the dark lord.

"What now, Legolas?" she muttered.

"How would you feel about going back to Mirkwood?"