'tis done [Frodo]

[Published: 30.07.2020]

This was it. Frodo was to toss the ring of power into the fiery depths of Mordor. They'd all be free. The whole world would be free. Frodo would be liberated from his suffering. Everything would go back to the way it was. (Y/N) stumbled through the mist, and waited patiently for him to toss it over. Sam stood by her side, his arm hanging over her neck.

But Frodo just stood there.

It was as if he was suspended, paralysed. The ring swayed on the end of the chain, rocking back and forth. The Hobbit seemed enamoured by its shine and its golden colour. (Y/N) shook her head, and cried out to him. "What are you waiting for?" she screeched.

"Just let it go!" Samwise piped in. The two Hobbits clung to each other, as Frodo turned.

He wore an expression that was very unlike Frodo. It was a sort of snarl, as if he was growling maliciously. (Y/N), for a dark moment, thought he somewhat resembled the creature Gollum. No, this was not the Frodo she knew. His eyes seemed empty, as if the life in him was not his own. He did not look upon his friends with fondness- he looked at them with malice and apprehension. He did not care for what they thought.

"The ring is mine!"

The defiant cry was enough to shatter the girl's heart to pieces. She and Sam gasped in unison, eyes widening in complete and utter disbelief. They clung tighter to each other, as Frodo's mouth upturned into an unnatural smirk. (Y/N) could scarce believe it- he was giving up, after everything? After all the pain he had endured, after the suffering that ring had put him through, he chose it over his friends? Over her?

No, she couldn't except it. She would not except it! Frodo Baggins was the honourable nephew of Bilbo Baggins, and had endured the worst to deliver the ring to Mount Doom. When victory was in grasp, he could not fail. For the Hobbit she knew and loved would not do such a thing, especially when victory is in grasp.

But she couldn't stop him- he pulled the chain off the ring, and placed it upon his finger. Sam screamed after his master, and scrambled forward. (Y/N) whispered his name, over and over, desperately trying to wrap her head around what was happening.

So this was the end. The Hobbit she had followed through day and night, who she cared for in dire times had failed. The end was near. Her future had been wiped clean. She shouldn't have loved him any longer; but she did. She vowed, in that moment of turmoil, she would love him to the end of days, because Frodo Baggins was a good, honest and true Hobbit! And she would never leave him to continue to fester in the darkness.

"FRODO!" she cried out, watching as footsteps appeared in the floor. "Get some sense into your head! We will all die if this ring is not destroyed!"

"(Y/N), there's no use," Sam sobbed, "He's too far gone. It was his mission, and he failed. We failed."

"We only fail if he leaves Mount Doom with the ring. Now, stop sobbing, Samwise! We're better than this! If anyone can do it, we can!"

Both of them were cut short, however, as they were both hit hard on the heads. Falling down, (Y/N)'s vision went blurry. She heard screeches and snarls, and watching a grey ball of flesh creep up and wrestle an invisible man. Her vision continued to blur, and momentarily, she closed her eyes.

(Y/N) opened them again upon hearing Sam's screams. Frodo and Gollum were nowhere to be seen, but Sam had crept to the edge of the platform and had knelt down. The woman bounded up towards him, and looked down. Below, clinging on for dear life, was her dear Hobbit Frodo, with a single finger missing.