Chapter 2 - Greta

^Greta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

POV: Greta (District 9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Reign 'em in!" I hear Wally shout. Sighing, I turn the wheel of the tractor, completing a U-turn and heading back to the warehouse. It's been 11 months since last year's Games ended, meaning it's time for Snow to announce this year's Quarter Quell Twist. We can only hope it's not horrible - last time, for the 100th Games, they had each District send the same number of tributes as their District number (District 12 sent 12 tributes, etc). We lost 9 tributes that year, most of them in the Bloodbath.

I shudder as I exit the warehouse. The area of town where the tractors are kept always spooks me out. When most of District 9 went up in flames a few years ago, this part was hit the hardest. Barely anyone lives over here anymore. The ground is scorched black and we're forced to walk through decaying buildings to get to work each day.

It's a far walk to the town square. The area is barren other than piles of black rubble. For some reason, the wind always blows the hardest on this side of the District, so I have to turn my head to stop my hair from blowing into my face. The ground under me crunches with every step.

"Greta!" I hear, ripping me from my thoughts. I whip my head around to spot Lysandra, one of my closest friends at work, running behind me. She's wearing a small shirt and short shorts so she can "get tan," even though it means most of her pasty body is covered in sunburns. Right now, it's not helping her at all, as the wind forces her to huddle over, her teeth chattering.

"I'm freezing," she says, rubbing her arms.

I laugh. "I tell you every time. Wearing trashy clothing like that never helps in any condition."

She rolls her eyes, as usual. "Whatever, Ms. Farmer. I get paid just as much as you last time I checked."

I shrug. She lives on the bad side of town, nearest to the fields, so it's usually a short walk home for her.

After what seems like forever, we reach the city center. Luckily, the line isn't too long, as most of the District is already here, and the other field workers are old men who probably won't get here until the broadcast is almost over.

They draw my blood to make sure I'm here since attendance is mandatory, and I step into the back of the crowd. On-screen is the Capitol logo, flickering as the broadcast waits to begin. Bored, I reach down, fussing with a string coming out of my shorts. I should have taken my own advice to Lysandra and worn pants; usually it's boiling outside, but these last few days the temperature has dropped quite a bit.

Suddenly, the plaza is filled with sound as the broadcast begins. On-screen is President Snow, a young man with a short beard and an intimidating face. He waves to an adoring Capitol crowd. I shiver at the sight of Snow as Lysandra steps up next to me. From what I've heard, he's better than his father, but he's certainly not an angel. If he truly cared about his citizens, District 9 would have been at least partially rebuilt after the fire.

"Welcome all," he says with his posh Capitol accent. "As stated in the Treaty of Treason, every 25 years a special Hunger Games will be held to celebrate the Capitol's success and to remind the Districts of their treason during the First and Second Rebellions. This year marks the 125th anniversary of the Games, meaning it is our 5th Quarter Quell."

The Capitol crowd cheers loudly. In contrast, the District 9 crowd is completely silent. Snow slowly pulls a card out of a golden envelope.

"As a reminder that the past shall never be forgotten, tributes shall be Reaped from the relatives of previous tributes who fall within Reaping age. This extends from the very first Hunger Games to the 124th Games. Additionally, because the Districts of Panem chose to rebel against the Capitol after three Quarter Quells, for this Quarter Quell three tributes shall be selected from each District rather than two."

The crowd around me groans. My heart drops for a moment - I remember when I was little, my father used to tell me a story about his uncle, who was in the Games decades ago. I'll have to ask him if that story was true. After my moment of panic, I allow myself to breathe a bit. I'll be okay - if there were 2 tributes every year, there had to be at least 200 in total from District 9, with all their relatives in the bowl. Also, we only have to give up three tributes - that's way better than the 9 from last time or the Victors we had to sacrifice the time before that.

"Could be worse, I guess," I say to Lysandra. She nods, looking immensely relieved. Because of her early birthday, this year is her last Reaping despite us being about the same age, so she's probably safe from the Games now.

An officer's voice rings out over the crowd. "Back to work, everyone!"

I slowly trudge out of the square with the other workers. I'm sure they won't be paying us for the time we've spent here, and that's money I can't afford to lose.

~

Thoughts on the Quarter Quell Twist? For anyone who missed it, every District has to Reap three tributes from the relatives of past tributes (siblings, cousins, nephews, etc.) that are 12-18 years old. Some of these kids might not even know that they are eligible because of how long ago some of the Games were. Volunteers also have to be within this pool.

Any thoughts on Greta? You'll find she's not too much of a main character yet but she has significance later, I promise.

Looking forward - next chapter is finally the Reaping! We have 36 unique tributes to introduce, and it all begins with the Reaping next chapter. I'm so excited.

Thanks again for reading and I'll see you in the next one!

~S