Chapter 47 - Soren

^Lydia, the Announcer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 47

POV: Soren (District 4)

Time: Day 15

Tributes Remaining: 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the bright light subsides, I uncover my eyes, looking up at Victoria. Her exposed eye is now a milky color and she looks around, confused. Suddenly, a blade appears in her stomach as someone stabs her from behind. She screams, crumpling to the ground as I roll out from under her.

Orion appears behind her, stabbing down at me as well, but I scramble out of the way and flee from him, running to Lacie, who I see hiding in the Cornucopia. A cannon shot fires for Victoria.

Orion turns as Robin approaches him, sword in hand. It's the first time I've paid much attention to Robin since I arrived. He's overloaded with supplies, and his bag is filled with my allies' weapons. I clench my fists at the sight of him. I still can't believe he would do what he did to us. He's going to pay for it.

The two boys begin to fight. I watch from the cover of the Cornucopia, exhausted. My mind is reeling. Everything is so chaotic and I'm worried I could be killed at any moment.

Orion and Robin fight intensely until Robin gains the upper hand, knocking Orion's sword out of his hands. As soon as Orion's sword leaves his hands, the possessed weapons nearby hone on Robin, whizzing at top speed and quickly embedding in his body. Robin lets out a surprised gargle as the blades strike him. Next to him, Orion drops to the ground, startled by the appearance of the weapons, who had stayed high in the sky for the most part until now. Robin now looks like a pincushion, dropping to the ground with a clatter as a cannon shot booms.

Lacie and I share a glance, confused. Lacie suddenly reaches into her pocket, grabbing her small blade and tossing it to the ground. Then I realize - the weapons are designed to attack tributes who are holding weapons, meaning we have to fight without them.

I laugh a bit to myself. I didn't believe in karma before, but I do now. Robin only died because he betrayed Lacie and me. If he hadn't stolen our supplies, he might still be alive. He got what he deserved. In a sick way, I'm sad I didn't get to kill him myself after what he did to Dalia.

Orion looks around, spotting Lacie and me. I glance at Lacie for a moment. Knowing I'm the stronger one of the two of us, I sprint to meet Orion halfway, and we fall to the ground as we collide. Orion punches me in the jaw, and I feel something crack as we scramble for power over one another. We roll around until Orion gains the upper ground, rolling us to the edge of the Cornucopia island.

I can hear the Ultimate Solvent bubbling behind me as I push against Orion with all my might. I can't give up now. I bare my teeth, pushing back and rolling us back onto the island. This time, I pin Orion down, punching him in the gut twice before Orion gains control again, throwing me off of him and pinning me to the ground once again.

The boy pants above me as I look around frantically for anything I can do to kill him quickly.

I spot a dagger laying on the ground close to my head. It was probably dropped by Robin when he was fighting Orion. Orion spots it too, and our eyes meet for a moment before Orion snatches the dagger up. I feel panic starting to take over my body as I frantically plead with him.

"No, please!" I beg him. He turns to me, his expression unreadable.

"Lacie!" I call to her. She's still under the Cornucopia, watching helplessly. She looks around frantically for a solution, but she can't pick up any other weapons in case the possessed weapons attack her.