Chapter 39 - Dalia

^Vispania Callendew, our Head Gamemaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 39

POV: Dalia (District 11)

Time: Day 10

Tributes Remaining: 14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lazily throw a handful of berries into my mouth as the others eat breakfast. We're all still tired after what happened with Soren, but we've been able to sleep a bit since the incident.

Soren looks a lot better, though. He's a tough one. He already looks almost completely healthy.

Seeing Soren almost die was difficult to watch, especially after I came to the realization that I wasn't ready to see him go. Truly, I thought Nia's death would be the only one to affect me. Now I realize that Soren's death will have the same effect, and Lacie's, and Robin's... I feel like I can't live without my allies, but at the same time, I can't bear to think of any of my friends perishing in here.

We're sitting in a circle eating breakfast when I hear an odd sound. Concerned, I try to spot what's making the sound, but Lacie quickly identifies it.

"It's a microphone," she says, standing quickly.

She's right - it sounds like the crackling of a microphone.

Suddenly, a voice echoes around the Arena. It's Lydia, the Announcer. "Hello, tributes! The Feast is now available at the Cornucopia. May the odds be ever in your favor."

I scramble to my feet. We're not too far from the Cornucopia, so the sooner we arrive, the better.

"Let's go," Lacie says. "Let's at least see what the Feast has to offer from the cover of the trees. Maybe it'll be something useful."

After we hastily pack our belongings into our bags, we set off at a brisk pace. It only takes a few minutes to run through the snow to the Cornucopia.

After a few minutes, Lacie stops in wonder as she approaches the Cornucopia clearing. I stop behind her and gasp. The clearing that was originally there has been completely transformed. The narrow paths and Ultimate Solvent are now completely gone, replaced by a simple grassy clearing with the Cornucopia at the center. In front of the Cornucopia, a massive pile in the shape of a cone sits, entirely made of supplies. I can see weapons and crates of different items from the tree line. It also seems as if the effects of the Hydra Vines, the Glutton Flames, and the golden gas, which Lacie calls Midas' Touch Gas, have all been reversed, leaving all four sections looking the same.

"I guess it would be hard for us all to kill each other on the narrow paths," Lena says.

"We have to make sure there's no traps or anyone hiding around the supplies. We don't want to be caught by surprise," Lacie tells us.

"Someone has to make the first move..." Robin mutters.

I look across the clearing, spotting a figure waiting in the tree line across from us. I can't tell who it is, though.

My attention is caught by Persephone from District 5, who sprints into the clearing. She grabs a bag from the massive pile, opening it and stuffing supplies into it.

After a few seconds, Lacie stands from her crouching position, and the rest of us follow her lead. "Looks like it's safe," she says. "Let's get in while we can, she's harmless."