Chapter 48 - Ross

^Ross

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 48

POV: Ross (Capitol)

Tributes Remaining: 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stand behind the entrance doors, stylists touching up my suit and makeup.

"Ross, you're clear," a producer says in my earpiece.

I tap the earpiece, nodding my head. "Alright," I tell the stylists, "It's go time."

The stylists back away as I step confidently on-stage. The crowd cheers wildly as I wave widely at them, putting on my widest grin.

"Thank you!" I shout. "Thank you very much!" I sit in a plush chair opposite one empty one, reserved for the guest of honor.

My heart is beating with excitement. This will be one of the most interesting interviews I will ever conduct in my lifetime.

The crowd quiets as I pick up my microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is finally time. Our Victor is ready to see you for the very first time since the end of this year's Games."

The crowd murmurs.

"It was a long fifteen days, but our Fifth Quarter Quell came to a dramatic end three days ago... Are you ready?" I say into the microphone dramatically. The crowd cheers loudly.

"Without further ado... give it up for the Victor of the 125th Hunger Games..."

I pause for dramatic effect.

"Soren Murdock from District 4!" I announce.

Soren walks out with a slight limp. He seems taller than during his first interview with me all those weeks ago, and he looks older than during the Games just a few days ago. Tonight, he's in a wonderful blue suit as he waves to the crowd. I know the producers of the show were very excited about his outfit. I'll admit, it's quite luxurious, even by my standards.

Soren sits opposite me, and I start with some small talk.

"Soren, it is such a pleasure to have you here with us today," I say solemnly.

"It's an honor, Ross," he replies.

"Before we get into our interview, you all know what we have to do first... Roll the highlight reel!" I say, and the audience's attention moves to the screen behind me, where the highlight roll begins to play.

A few shots of the Bloodbath are shown first. Soren is seen next to Nia and Marnie as the clock counts down.

The other boy from District 4, Wade, is shown as he jumps from his pedestal. I watch Soren's expression, and he keeps his face neutral, although his eyes drop to the floor for a moment at the sight of his District partner's death.

The gong sounds and Tanner is shown throwing a spear, and Soren barely ducks under the spear as it sails over him, hitting Marnie. I remember that moment was one of the highlights of the Bloodbath. Leon and Angelica are also shown as they fight, with Leon ultimately pushing the small girl into the poison.

Murray and Amethyst's fight is shown in detail. As other tributes dart around them, they try to push each other into the Ultimate Solvent while using other objects to throw at each other. When Amethyst charges at Murray with her sword in hand, Murray uses a maneuver to twist Amethyst around. Amethyst's sword falls to the ground, and Murray kicks it into the Ultimate Solvent, where it begins to dissolve. Amethyst begins to panic as Murray holds her in a headlock.