Chapter 27 - Kala

^Kala

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 27

POV: Kala (District 7)

Time: Day 6

Tributes Remaining: 18

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rose, Greta, Maisy, and I sit lazily as the morning progresses. It's our sixth day in the Arena, but we're quite well-off, especially after somewhat replenishing our supplies at the Cornucopia. At least, I'm sure we're better off than the 18 kids who have been killed at this point. Better off than Jordan and Rowan, my two District partners, who are both gone now.

We stay within the coldest, innermost ring of the Arena. At this point, we've gotten accustomed to the cold of the region, so it's not necessary to seek out warmer weather yet. Back in District 7, the weather dipped to frigid temperatures, especially in the winter.

One of my favorite things to do was to take my baby brother out in the snow every winter. My heart throbs at the thought of my brother. I miss him so much. I wonder if he's watching me right now. I have to survive, if only so that I can see him again.

The worst part is that I might die in here, and he may never remember me. I don't remember much from when I was little - did I spend enough time with him before I was taken away? What if I don't come home, and he doesn't remember everything we've done together?

I'm deep in thought when Greta and Maisy suddenly begin sniffing the air next to me. I glance up at them, curious.

"What's up?" I ask.

Greta's eyes are wide. "Smoke," she says, scrambling to her feet.

We're barely given any time to react. Maisy screams, pointing to a mass of green flames approaching from the distance. The flames move extremely rapidly - by the time we climb to our feet, we're almost surrounded by the flames.

We're given no time to do anything - within seconds, the flames are upon us, taking over the surrounding trees with intense heat. I watch as Greta and Maisy sprint through an opening left untouched by the flames, followed by Rose. I quickly grab a single backpack before I hear a groaning sound. Looking up, I see that a massive tree is falling, about to land on our camp. I duck down, sprinting after the other girls as the tree slams into the clearing right behind me with a loud boom.

We're forced to sprint as fast as we can. The flames lick at my heels as I run, and I can feel its intense heat behind me.

After about three minutes of running, I've spent all of my energy. I'm covered in sweat, both from the exercise and from the heat of the flames.

Suddenly, the heat behind me fades. I glance back to see the green flames. They seem to be crawling up some sort of invisible wall. I think it must have been contained within a quarter of the Arena, just like the vines that killed Jordan.

All of our supplies are gone other than my one backpack. We sit on the ground for a moment, panting and covered in soot and ash.

I look over to Maisy, who's sitting next to me. She's panting just like me, but her eyes are wild with fear. I think the flames remind her of the massive fire that destroyed a large portion of District 9 a few years ago.

Greta buries her head in her hands, and I can feel despair clawing at my heart. We spent all that time collecting supplies at the Cornucopia, and now all that work was for nothing. We have one backpack between the three of us. We're practically defenseless.

I'm glad we're all alive, but what are we going to do now with no food, weapons, or supplies?

~

Now that the sixth day is over, we're nearing a week in the Arena! I know it's not always clear who is alive and who is just hiding, etc. so here's (yet another) list! Here are the 18 tributes still alive:

Victoria - District 1
Tanner - District 10

Orion - District 2
Murray - District 2

Ada - District 2

Robin - District 3
Soren - District 4
Lacie - District 4
Dalia - District 11

Persephone - District 5
Carlo - District 5

Jomilee - District 6

Kala - District 7
Rose - District 8
Maisy - District 9
Greta - District 9

Rex - District 10
Magdalena - District 10

~

So, we have exactly half of the tributes left. Who do you think will win? Who will be the next to die? Let me know!

~S