Chapter 7 - Lacie

^Wade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 7

POV: Lacie (District 4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soren and I wave farewell to Cressa and Griff. Wade joins us wordlessly. Today's a very important day - it's our first day of Training. Today is when all our possible allies are up for grabs. My strategy begins today; I'll be observing all my fellow tributes for the best possible allies. Luckily for me, Cressa convinced Soren to ally with me, so that's one step out of the way. I'm unclear on if Wade wants to stick with us or not yet.

"How did you guys sleep?" I ask the boys as we walk to the elevators.

Wade glances up at me for a moment before staring back at the floor. He's walking so slowly that we're almost leaving him behind.

"Fine," he says.

Soren and I share a look. Wade seems to have given up completely. I feel bad for him.

I stop walking, and the boys stop as well, looking back at me. I'm not usually one to do emotional favors for others, but I feel bad for the kid. "Wade, this might seem random, but you were really brave at the Reaping. I just wanted to tell you that. You're a hero."

Wade grimaces, offering Soren and me a small, pained smile. "Thank you," he says genuinely. "I did what I had to do. I couldn't live with myself if I had let Taylor die in the Arena. It was her or me, and I couldn't let that happen to her. She's only 12."

He pauses for a moment, almost forcing his words out. "But let me make one thing clear. You two have a good chance at going far. I obviously don't. It sounds harsh, but you have to stay away from me. I'm going to die as soon as the Games start. I don't want to put myself through the Arena if I don't stand a chance. Don't feel like you have to drag me with you."

Soren looks torn by Wade's words, but I'm not. If Wade has given up, I can't spend the energy to give him motivation. I have to find good allies and prepare for the Arena if I want to come out of there alive.

"If that's what you want," I tell him quietly. I know Soren wants to take care of Wade, but it's Wade's decision, and he's right - he'll just drag us down in the Arena.

The two elevator doors open into the spacious elevator. Persephone, Carlo, and Velia, the three District 5 tributes, are already inside the space, and they move to the back to let us in. When the tributes split, Persephone and Carlo move one way together, while Velia moves away from them. Persephone and Carlo seem to know each other already, or they've gotten close in the last few days.

The elevator passes Floor 3, but it stops at District 2's suite. I see Velia offering the District 2 tributes a small smile, but I'm not sure if it's out of friendliness or out of fear. The two boys, Orion and Murray, step into the elevator with us as we move to make room for them. They're both only slightly taller than I am, and they barely look like Careers. I definitely think they weren't their District's first choices, or even their tenth, but all tributes had to be related to past tributes, so I guess they were the best within that pool this year.

Ada, on the other hand, is one to watch out for. I think there's something psychologically wrong with her but I'm not sure what. The boys look at Ada expectantly, but she gives Velia, Carlo, and Persephone looks of scorn. I shudder at the feeling of her gaze. She makes me feel filthy, and I'm not one to be put down easily.

"I'll take the stairs..." she says slowly and carefully before turning on her heels and walking away.

The others stand in shocked silence at Ada's rudeness. Velia angrily mashes the button to close the elevator doors.