Chapter 15 - Victoria

^Victoria

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 15

POV: Victoria (District 1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sigh, throwing my headdress at a stylist. Around me, many of the other tributes are taking off accessories from their Interviews as well. We're all exhausted, but of course, I am one of the most tired, since I was on-stage for the longest other than Amethyst and Felix. It's stupid that we have to wait on-stage the longest after our Interviews since we're the ones who volunteered to be here. The others should have to suffer more than us, in my opinion.

After slipping off my shoes, I look up to see a short woman looking around, confused. It's Laurette Ivory, our escort. She's dressed in a horrendous leopard print outfit.

I grab Amethyst's arm, dragging her towards an elevator. "Laurette's coming. I do not want to talk to that bitch," I tell her. She laughs.

We let our hair down from ponytails as we walk. "Ugh, weren't those interviews awful? I mean, come on, I can't even remember District 12's names and they went last! Couldn't even answer the questions."

Amethyst nods in agreement. It's so stupid that these kids couldn't even answer simple interview questions about themselves. It's like they want to be killed and forgotten as soon as the Games start.

"They do have to share one mentor between the three of them, though," Amethyst says as we approach an open elevator. "Imagine having Velvet in charge of all of us!"

I pretend to gag. "Don't even get me started!" Velvet is Felix's mentor, and he's so old he can barely talk. He's respected because he's mentored many District 1 Victors, but he's basically useless. I think Felix secretly wanted to kill him to get a better mentor, but he never got the chance.

We step into the elevator, where the District 6 tributes are standing. I wink at the boy as we step in. He's the one who fought the small girl from 11.

I change the topic, purposefully trying to make the District 6 kids uncomfortable. "And we're all just going to pretend that bitch from 11 is crippled. It was two days ago, we all know she's faking it."

"Yeah, like that's gonna get her anywhere when everyone realizes it," Amethyst laughs.

The two girls look uncomfortable at our conversation. I offer them a patronizing grin as the elevator stops at our floor. I pull Amethyst out as the doors close.

Amethyst offers a short laugh at our antics before she waves goodnight and heads straight for her room. She was always the most serious of the three of us. I think it's because her sister, Opal, was killed in last year's Games. Since Amethyst is the last child in her family, the pressure is on her to win this year.

Not that there's no pressure on me, of course. There's pressure on all of us. When my father died, my brother was supposed to go to the Games and win for the Victor's salary, which would keep my family safe for the rest of our lives. He disappeared on Reaping day, running away and never returning. We still don't know where he went. When he didn't show up, another boy volunteered in his place, and our family was shamed by the rest of the District. My family is relying on me to re-establish our dignity in the District. It's a task I don't take lightly, and I plan to succeed.

I find myself sitting down at the bar in the main room of the District 1 suite, where an Avox stands at attention silently. Behind me, I can hear the District 1 mentors arriving in the suite and heading to their respective rooms.

I don't drink any alcohol, don't worry. The Capitol has far better beverages to offer that will leave me in better shape tomorrow morning. As I sit and drink in silence, I can't help but feel a pit of dread in my stomach. Maybe it's because this is the first time I'm alone with my thoughts, but for some reason it's harder for me to ignore the way that I feel inside like I used to. I may be confident in my abilities, but one thing's for sure - if I win the Games this year, it won't be easy. There are 35 other kids out there, and all of them want more than anything to stay alive, just like me.

And what if I fail? Will everything I've done in my life be for nothing? If today is my last day of freedom, am I happy with how I've spent my life? I feel stupid. I feel like a piece on a board game, like I've been manipulated. How could I have been convinced to volunteer to risk my life for fame and glory?

For all these years, I've loathed my brother for not following the fate that had been chosen for him. But now, I'm starting to see how he really felt.

I shake my thoughts away, taking a deep breath. What am I thinking? The Games begin tomorrow, and I need to be prepared. Like it or not, I'll be fighting tomorrow.

Tonight's an important night. May as well get some rest.

~

THIS IS IT! How do we feel?!

I'm leaving a list of all the alliances down below, for anyone wondering. These are all the tributes who have allied as of right now. Obviously, they are expected to change as the Games progress.

 Obviously, they are expected to change as the Games progress