Chapter 43 - Greta

^Jordinia, Dalia's mentor from District 11.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 43

POV: Greta (District 9)

Time: Night 12

Tributes Remaining: 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit on the ground, picking at the grass beneath me. I feel myself completely tune the world out. I can barely hear the music playing around me. I begin to hum to the tune before I realize there are lights above me.

I look up to see a girl that I recognize. It's Maisy, a girl I grew up with back in District 9. What's she doing up in the sky?

After Maisy, another girl appears, but I don't bother to try and recognize her. She has the words 'District 11' under her portrait, though.

I keep humming, but after a few minutes, I realize the music has stopped. I suddenly have the urge to cry - why did they take the music away?

I look around to see that it's light outside again. I'm confused since it was just night, but it doesn't cross my mind to question it.

Some force takes hold of my body, forcing me to my feet. I stumble through the forest, stamping through the snow until I reach the edge of the forest.

I recognize this place from a long time ago. All I remember is a huge fire, but I can't remember what happened.

I look down a path in front of me and almost jump when I see other people on the island in front of me. I haven't seen another person for as long as I can remember.

As I stumble closer to the island, I recognize the people on the island. It's Maisy, my District partner. She's with two other girls.

Suddenly, my memory returns for a fleeting moment, and I feel like I've been here before, with these same girls. I remember their names - Kala and Rose. Something about the sight of Kala makes me shudder, but I can't figure out what it is.

I run to the girls. Why would they come back here without me?

I arrive at the island, looking up to the top of the Cornucopia, where the girls were sitting. There's nobody there anymore.

I sit on the rocky ground, defeated. Why would the girls leave without me? I want to cry. Everything is so unfair.

I sit on the ground, staring at the blue liquid around me until I realize that it's dark again.

The music returns, and I happily hum along to the familiar tune. Looking up, though, my friend Maisy doesn't appear anymore. The words 'NO FALLEN TRIBUTES' appear instead.

That upsets me. I wish I could see the faces of my friends again. They shouldn't have left me here. I'm freezing.

~

Poor Greta. I wanted to check in on her because she's slipping further into insanity. I think it's interesting how each step on her journey - the fire that destroyed her supplies, killing Murray, killing Kala, and the fire at the Feast, all allowed her to slip further and further into insanity, which then justified her next action (i.e. killing Murray made her even crazier to the point where she justified killing Kala, etc.) How do y'all feel about Greta's shift from her past POVs?

The Games are nearing the end now. Who's excited?!

~S