Chapter 13 - Jomilee

^Jomilee. We haven't seen any of her yet, but she's a District 6 tribute who's District partners with Leon. One of my favorite pics tbh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 13

POV: Jomilee (District 6)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new friends and I laugh hysterically as Della does an awful impression of a Capitol accent. Her accent is so horrible that it's almost accurate in a way.

I'm glad my friends have cheered up. I know they were disappointed by their Training scores. I scored surprisingly high, making me one of the best tributes. I must be more skilled than I thought. However, my friends didn't do so well.

Right now there are four of us in our alliance. I've stuck with my District partner, Marnie, throughout Training, although it's less because we're alike and more because we both don't like Leon. We quickly joined Della, an energetic girl from District 3 who we happened to sit with during lunch on the first day of Training. Most recently, we added Acacia, who we just call Casey. She's quieter than Della, but is quite athletic and well-equipped for the Arena.

"So, what are you guys gonna say in your Interviews?" I ask the girls.

They think for a bit before responding. Marnie speaks first. "I'll probably talk about our relationship. How we were best friends since before we were born, probably."

"You weren't, though," Della says with a frown. "You two didn't even know each other."

Casey rolls her eyes, smacking Della on the arm. "That's the point, stupid," she chuckles. "You don't have to tell the truth in your Interview. The Capitol won't know. My mentor, Mallory, told me that I should emphasize the fact that my sister died and how close we were, even though we barely even spoke before she actually died."

Della nods, deep in thought. "I have to think of a good lie, too."

After a few hours of relaxing together, Marnie and I bid the other girls goodnight. We climb the stairs quickly - since we met in Casey's room on Floor 9, it's only three floors downstairs to our suite.

I slowly open the door, but I pause as I hear shouting voices. I open the door to see Gear standing in the center of the common room. He's facing a massively tall man with an eyepatch. I remember him from somewhere - I think he's a mentor from District 10 or 11.

I'm less afraid of the stranger in our suite, and more unsettled by the look on Gear's face. He actually looks frightened, which is a cause of alarm for me since he almost never shows any sort of emotion on his face. He's so wasted by drugs, I don't think he even knows our names.

Gear is the mentor responsible for all three District 6 tributes. Technically, we have two mentors, but the other mentor, Irma, is so old, she's unable to mentor properly. On paper, the two split the tributes evenly, but in reality, Gear does all the work.

"Leon is out of control, Gear! He is out of control. My tribute is probably gonna die from this. Because your boy couldn't keep his temper in check," the man hisses at Gear.

Gear just sighs, the fear now gone from his face. He looks exhausted. "Listen, Jackson, we all know Irma is on her deathbed... Dealing with three tributes at once is a lot to manage."

Gear pinches the bridge of his nose. I turn, glancing at Marnie, who also looks shocked. I guess Leon and Angelica's fight had more consequences than we thought. Hopefully it doesn't have consequences for us.

Marnie and I walk around the edge of the room to the hallway leading to our rooms. The mentors' voices trail behind us as we walk.

"Just because you're too high all the time to learn your tributes' names, doesn't mean we all don't care about our tributes. Your job is to keep him in check!" Jackson yells.

I feel my throat beginning to close up, making it hard to breathe. I have to stop myself from panicking. I'm going to be okay. Marnie will be okay.

I wave at her quickly before throwing myself into the room and clicking the door shut, saving me from the tense voices behind me.

~

How do we feel about Jomilee and Marnie? Do you think Leon's actions will have negative consequences for them? Thoughts on Gear and Jackson's confrontation?

These four girls are some of the last tributes you'll be introduced to. We've now met almost all of the tributes.

The next chapter will be a run-down on the tributes in the Games for anyone who is losing track of them all. After that, we'll have the interviews and then the Games! Who's excited?!

~S