Chapter 45

^Misty, Tanner's mentor from District 10. We'll be briefly introduced to her in this chapter.

A/N: This chapter is a rare chapter without just one narrator. The narration will switch between multiple characters (including the remaining tributes). Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 45

Time: Day 15

Tributes Remaining: 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POV: Griff (District 4)

The mentor room is very busy today. Last night, Vispania, the Head Gamemaker, was interviewed by Ross, and she revealed that today would be the final day of the Games. After 15 long days, the 125th Games are going to be coming to a suspenseful end.

Because this year is the 5th Quarter Quell, there are five Arena Events. The first four were the Hydra Vines, the Glutton Flames, the Midas' Touch Gas, and finally, the tidal wave of Ultimate Solvent. However, it is time for the fifth event, when all four attack once again simultaneously, pushing all tributes to the Cornucopia island.

After all my years of mentoring, I'm not one to get my hopes up. This year, there are seven tributes still alive at the end. That is extremely rare, as the ending usually occurs when three or four tributes remain. However, because the Arena Events occur once every three days, the Games are on a set schedule that must be maintained.

I hear screaming behind me and I glance back to see a young Victor being dragged from the mentor room by Capitol guards. She screams as the guards carry her out. I recognize her as Misty, who was Tanner's mentor this year. She's a relatively new mentor, so she's probably more attached to her tributes than the rest of us.

"Must be her first time here," Cressa says, and I nod in agreement.

I glance up as a door opens over the balcony above the mentor room. Vispania steps out, looking over the mentors as we quiet ourselves.

"Mentor gifts are now suspended," she tells us. "Please find your way backstage. The mentor of the winning tribute will be interviewed immediately after the finale."

Cressa helps me stand from my seat, and we follow the other mentors backstage.

We're seated in a row backstage with a television set up in front of us so we can watch the end of the Games. Immediately after the end, one of us will be interviewed by Ross, so we all have to be prepared.

At the end of the row is Maroon, who is Victoria's mentor this year. He doesn't acknowledge me or Cressa as we pass. Fangs from District 2 sits next to him, mentoring Orion. Next to him is Iris, who worked closely with Cressa and me until Robin abandoned his allies. On the other side of Cressa and I are Rose and Greta's mentors - Rochelle from District 8 and Rye from District 9. Rochelle is a sweet girl, although she's certainly been dealt an awful hand in life. I believe she's hooked on Morphling, although that's just a rumor. Greta's mentor, Rye, is one of the oldest Victors in Panem, even older than me. He's one of only a handful of mentors still alive from before the 75th Games and the Second Rebellion; only six Victors survived the war itself, and only three of them are still alive.

I focus my attention on the screen ahead of me. I believe that Lacie has what it takes to win. She just has to live up to her potential.

~

POV: Orion (District 2)

The Arena is silent. All I can hear are the insects hidden in the trees above me chirping as they buzz around me. If I've counted correctly, we've been in the Arena for over two weeks now. Usually, the Games don't last that long, but this year there are more tributes than usual, so that's expected.