Chapter 50 - Epilogue (Pt. 2)

^LAST CHAPTER! Here's Soren's sister, Marina, to finish us off!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 50 - Epilogue (Part 2)

POV: Soren (District 4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wave to the Capitol fans as the train pulls away. I feel dizzy from the crazy celebrations that lasted through the night. The Capitol elite certainly know how to party.

"Alright, back home we go," Cressa sighs, relieved.

"What did Snow mean about the Opening Ceremonies?" I ask abruptly, remembering his speech at the start of the evening.

"Well, you know you're a mentor now, just like all the rest of us," Cressa reminds me. "Because Four has six mentors, you won't be scheduled for mentoring until the 128th Games. Seamus and Georgina are scheduled for next year, followed by Griff and Roman, and then you and me."

"Three years..." I think out loud. "That's not too bad."

"We're some of the lucky ones," Cressa says. "Lots of the mentors go almost every year. Irma in District 6 has been going every year since the War at least."

I shudder. I can't imagine having to mentor a tribute every year for that long. No wonder she's practically on her deathbed.

"Every year when you return, they'll mention your story and how you won your Games," Cressa continues. "I hope you know I mean it when I say that those who impacted you in the Games will continue to do so for the rest of your life. Dalia, Nia, Robin, Victoria, and most of all, Lacie. All of them will be brought to life every year you step back into the Capitol. They still do it to me."

"I think that's a good thing," I tell her. "Keeps me in check and reminds me why I'm here."

"I think that's true in your case..." Cressa says. "There aren't many bodies in your cellar. Fewer than most of us, that's for sure."

~

The train ride lasts all night and most of the next day. We arrive in District 4 just in time for the feast held in the District around evening-time.

The crowd is massive, and they cheer as I step off the train. At the front of the crowd are Roman, Marina, and Jasmine.

Jasmine runs to me first, grabbing my leg. I reach down, lifting her up and squeezing her as hard as I can without hurting her. She squeals. I'm so glad to be back.

After I greet the others, the crowd heads to the town square, where the Victory Feast is being held. We all know the drill - we did the exact same thing last year with Roman.

I sit at the head of the table at the center of the square, surrounded by Roman, Cressa, Griff, and Indigo. We turn as the mayor taps his microphone. He's a very tall, lanky man. I rarely see him smile, but he's smiling tonight.

"Thank you all for coming to this very special event," he says. "Today we welcome Soren Murdock, Victor of the 125th Hunger Games. This marks a very special day for our community - This is District 4's third Victor in the last ten years, a very special achievement."

The crowd cheers, and Roman raises his glass to me in celebration.

The feast is wonderful. It reminds me of everything I love about District 4.

~

It takes hours, but I finally head out of the Feast, escorting Indigo to the train station. It's finally time for her to return to the Capitol.