Thanks, Pete

Josh wasn't home much today. It was a Saturday, so he normally liked to spend it at home and grade students work and gather more things for the students to do in school. But, today was different. Today, Josh was at a small café in Columbus with his best friend Debby.

"So he just, told you he loves you?" She asked pouring sugar in her coffee.

"Yep. He asked me to stay and cuddle with him, I mean he's done it once or twice before so I didn't think it was a big deal. He called me Joshie." The man smiled softly and took a sip of his tea.

"Joshie! Dude that's so fucking cute." Debby laughed.

"I know! My heart legit melted. I just, I keep replaying it in my head, from carrying him to my room and him saying it. My heart dude, I just... ugh!" He blushed.

"So why can't you go after him? He's 18, you're only three years older than him and my boyfriend is like five years older than me." She took a sip of her coffee.

"Yeah, but is he your high school teacher?"

"No..."

"How do I know if he actually loves me and isn't just a little high school crush? It would be an abuse of power to take advantage of that."

"How are you so smart?"

"Debs, I'm a teacher."

"Oh, shit. Right, duh."

While the pair of best friends were laughing together, Tyler was in his bed panicking.

"Pete I don't fucking know what to do." He said frantically crying.

"Ty, you're gonna be okay. Look, I'm on my way over alright? I'll be there soon, just wait for me, okay?"

Tyler hummed a response and nodded even if Pete couldn't see it. "Okay hurry up." Before the friend could answer, Tyler hung up the phone and tossed it down on the bed. He stood up and started to get dressed but he was a little busy with pacing back and fourth. He couldn't think straight, his vision was a little blurry but that was from the tears flowing out of his eyes. Tyler was brought out of his thoughts when the doorbell rang.

The boy quickly ran down the stairs half dressed and looked through the peephole before opening the door. He flung himself into Pete's arms and sobbed.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay buddy. But we should go inside so we don't get stared at." Pete said, rubbing his friends back for comfort.

Tyler sighed and pulled the other boy inside and closed the door behind them. "I don't know what to do Pete."

Pete took his friends hand in his and brought him to the couch. "Okay, tell me everything that happened Ty."

Tyler wiped his tears away and slowly stopped breathing so heavily. "Zach called the cops on my dad today. He called me and told me that my dad got so drunk last night and he started throwing things and a cup he threw hit Maddie and it shattered against her head. Zach had to bring her to the hospital, he said there was so much blood from her head. He said when he came back home this morning, Jay was no where to be seen and dad was asleep on the couch." Tyler started crying again making Pete grab his hand and just hold it.

"Where's Jay? Was he ever found?"

"Zach said he finally found him completely beat up in the back yard. He said it was worse than what dad did to me. So he's in the hospital with Maddy and Jay right now."

"Do you wanna go see them? I could drive you to the hospital." Pete suggested.

Tyler looked at his friend and the tears started flowing again. He nodded his head.

"Okay, go get some clothes on and we'll be on our way, alright?"

"Thanks, Pete."

✴✴✴

Seven hours went by and Pete dropped Tyler off at his home. Josh was sitting on the couch watching tv as Tyler walked into the house.

"Hey." Josh smiled at the boy. Tyler didn't answer and just walked up the stairs to his room and flopped on his bed. Josh got worried by that so he followed the boy into his room, standing in the doorway. "Is everything okay?"

Tyler just made a disgruntled noise and shook his head. Josh walked over to the boys' bed and sat next to him. "Do you wanna talk about it?" The teacher asked.

"It's just my dad." Tyler said, his face still in his pillow.

"Do you just wanna sleep and talk about it some other time?" Josh suggested. The boy just nodded. "Okay, I'll let you be buddy."

Josh was about to get up and leave but Tyler wrapped his hand around the mans arm. "Please don't leave me." The boy croaked and started to cry.

"Hey, hey, hey," Josh sat back down and pulled Tyler up so his head was resting on Josh's chest. "You're okay Ty, you're okay." Josh rocked the boy back and forth, shushing him like he were a fragile, delicate baby. Josh just wanted to protect the boy with all of his being. "You're safe, okay? I have you."

✴✴✴

The next morning Josh woke up still holding Tyler. He didn't want to wake up the sleeping boy so he laid there until Tyler woke up. He rubbed the boys back, softly played with his hair and hummed to himself quietly. Josh stayed under the boy for a full hour, not that Josh minded though. He thinks he might love Tyler too.

"Good morning." Tyler said, snuggling further into the teachers chest. Teacher? Holy shit. "Oh fuck, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep and keep you here all night." Tyler said pushing himself off Josh.

Josh chuckled lightly. "It's okay, I didn't mind at all." He said giving a reassuring smile.

"Are you sure? How long have you been awake?"

"I've been awake for about an hour." Josh said, admiring Tyler.

"An hour? You could've woken me up. I'm so sorry." Tyler said looking at the man and blushed.

"No it's okay, I really didn't mind."