xviii.

BLOOD WARS | XVIII.
SELENA BARATHEON
Storm's End | 300 a.c.

SELENA WAS RESTLESS

SELENA WAS RESTLESS. SHE STARED UP AT THE CANOPY of the bed that had formerly belonged to her mother and father. She thought of what they'd think of her now, would they be proud? Disappointed? She wondered what Robert and Stannis would think. Would they have called her a coward for waiting so long to flee King's Landing?

She thought of Renly, whether or not he was truly alive and if he was, why was he still in hiding? Selena was sure that news of her arrival had reached everyone in Storm's End, as well as neighboring realms.

Thought after thought, question after question, Selena found herself unable to stop and rest. Tired of the cycle, she climbed out of bed, finding a robe to cover herself. Carefully she lit a candle and made her way out of the room.

Storm's End was a big castle, most of the view was blocked by walls, but she liked that. It made her feel safe. She sighed loudly as she made her way down the hall, though she had forgotten how to make her way through the castle, she remembered the path to her old room.

She made her way there and was surprised when she saw Daenerys in the hall. She made her way toward the Targaryen who jumped slightly when she saw Selena.

"What are you doing awake?" Selena asked.

"I could ask you the same," Daenerys says.

"It's haunting, sleeping in the room that my parents did. That Robert once did," Selena shook her head, "There are far too many ghosts."

"I understand that," Daenerys tells her before smiling at Selena, "I've never spent a night in a castle that wasn't the Red Keep."

"So, you're homesick?" Selena asks.

Daenerys nods, "And you are the opposite?"

Selena sighs, "I wouldn't say that I'm the opposite. I just feel as though I don't belong here. I'm not a Stormlander. I'm a Kingslander through and through. I walk like you, talk like you, my mannerism are the same as yours. My parents would be ashamed of me."

"Your parents would be proud of you," Daenerys says, nothing but passion in her words, "You didn't concede, you fought until you could make it home. They wouldn't be ashamed, they'd be proud."

Selena looks over at Daenerys with a shy smile, "You think so?"

Daenerys smiles at her, "I know so."

Selena could breathe a little easier, but she still didn't want to return to her room, "Would you like a tour of the castle? Or at least of what I can remember of it?"

Daenerys laughs and nods her head eagerly. Selena smiles and holds her hand out for Daenerys to take. The Targaryen princess glanced down at her hand and then back up at Selena before placing her hand in Selena's warm one.