vii.

BLOOD WARS | VII.
DAENERYS TARGARYEN
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

DAENERYS WAS USED TO EATING BREAKFAST ALONE

DAENERYS WAS USED TO EATING BREAKFAST ALONE. Her family was always busy, her brother and nephews were often training and Rhaenys liked to take her breakfast in the gardens with her mother and Daenerys never wanted to intrude. There was Selena who often switched between eating with Rhaenys and Elia and sitting silently across from Daenerys, but now that she had her ladies, Daenerys saw her less and less.

However, she didn't have to eat alone anymore, not with Missandei around. She'd learned that Missandei was the youngest of four, but one of her older brothers had died. The other two had escaped slavery and made their way to Westeros and Missandei left her home to find them. She had also learned that the girl was fluent in 19 languages, including Dany's native tongue of High Valyrian, something that had impressed Rhaegar.

Simply, Daenerys didn't feel alone anymore, which is why it was a large surprise when Selena and her ladies joined Daenerys and Missandei for breakfast that morning.

"Hello Daenerys," Selena said as she took a seat beside her, "Is it alright if we join you?"

Daenerys looks at Selena wearily, and then to her ladies. Daenerys had mixed feelings about each of them, the only one she truly liked was Jessamyn, she came off as genuinely kind and it was her smile that made Daenerys feel at ease.

"Sure," she said, "Everyone this is Missandei."

"You're from Naath, correct?" Allara asks and Missandei nods.

"My father has sailed there before. He only stayed for a day out of fear of the butterflies," Allara tells her, and Daenerys raises an eyebrow curiously.

"What butterflies?" she asked.

"There are butterflies in Naath and they carry a deadly disease. Naathi are immune, but outsiders will fall prey if they stay too long," Missandei informs her, and Daenerys nods slowly at the information. Never in her life did she think she'd have reason to be scared of a butterfly.

"What are you two doing today?" Selena asks, eyes dancing between Missandei and Daenerys. She glances over at Missandei and she shrugs.

"I guess we were going to go to the tourney," Daenerys answers, "Missandei's never been to one before."

"It's a bore," Larrisa says, "Though it will be interesting to see who will be crowned the queen of love and beauty."

Ashara rolls her eyes, "It isn't going to be you."

"You don't know that," Larrisa tells her.

Allara smiles and nudges Selena, "It's a good thing Lyanna isn't here. Wouldn't want another war to break out."

Daenerys expects Selena to laugh, but instead, she frowns, "That wasn't Lyanna's fault. It was Rhaegar's."

Daenerys avoids Selena's gaze, there was no point in arguing that. Even she could admit that Rhaegar was foolish to crown Lyanna, especially in front of his wife. But it had already been done and the consequences had been suffered.