xv.

BLOOD WARS | XV.
DAENERYS TARGARYEN
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

"PRINCESS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE," Ser Barristan says as he takes a step forward, stopping Daenerys

"PRINCESS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE," Ser Barristan says as he takes a step forward, stopping Daenerys. She glances over the knight's shoulder and looks at the door that was preventing her from seeing Viserys. The other knight on duty happened to be Arys Oakhart, the newest knight to join the Kingsguard.

"I know," Daenerys says softly, "But I haven't been able to sleep since the incident. I'd just like to see him, just to see that he is breathing."

Ser Barristan had always had a soft spot for Daenerys when she was growing up. When Rhaegar had been too busy for her, it had been Ser Barristan who kept her distracted. He cared for her in the way a father cared for a daughter, which made Daenerys feel the slightest bit guilty for exploiting that.

"Ser Arys," Barristan calls over his shoulder, "I believe that my shift is coming to an end soon. Will you fetch Prince Lewyn for me?"

Arys nods his head, offering Daenerys a bow before slipping off down the castle hall. Daenerys watches after him wearily, part of her fearing that he was on his way to fetch her older brother.

"You've nothing to worry about," Barristan tells her, causing Daenerys to look back at him, "Arys will not tell His Grace."

"Ser Barristan," Daenerys says, her words trailing off. She wanted to tell him the truth, she wanted him to come with her when she left for the Stormlands, but his duty was to Rhaegar.

"You only have a moment. Pycelle should be around to check on Viserys soon. Whatever you have to say to me, I'm sure it can wait until later."

Daenerys sighs realizing that he's right, so instead, she says, "Thank you."

He simply nods before returning to his post, standing by Viserys's door. Daenerys takes a deep breath, prepared for the worst as she steps into Viserys chambers. The room was dark, dimly lit by a candle that was on her brother's bedside. There was fabric decorating the windows, blocking any sunlight that may seep in.

Daenerys closed the door softly behind her before turning to look at her brother's bedridden figure, "Viserys?" she called softly.

Viserys turned his head and looked at her, the motion was slow and seemed painful, "Daenerys?"

A smile came over her lips as she heard her brother speak her name. He was alive, any doubts she'd had before were gone as she looked at her brother who was clearly alive.

"I thought you were dead," Daenerys says as she takes a seat beside her brother. She can see the dark circles under his eyes, as well as the bandages, decorating his chest.

"Jessamyn? Is she alright? Has Rhaegar touched her?"

Daenerys shakes her head, "No, and he won't get the chance to. We're leaving, Viserys. Selena has made arrangements. We're all leaving."