x.

BLOOD WARS | X.
SELENA BARATHEON
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

SELENA HAD NEVER EXPECTED A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL, at least not until she returned to the Stormlands

SELENA HAD NEVER EXPECTED A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL, at least not until she returned to the Stormlands. Certainly, Jaime's proposal enticed her, having the backing of Casterly Rock and the great mind of Tywin Lannister, but she couldn't. It wasn't because she didn't like Jaime, he was probably the closest thing to safety and comfort that she had known.

She couldn't say yes to him, it was as simple as that. Rhaegar would never release Jaime from the Kingsguard if he knew that he had the intention of marrying Selena. 

She sighed loudly, gaining the attention of Daenerys who had been sitting across from her. Her violet eyes peer curiously up at Selena and she quickly shifts her gaze elsewhere. She looks at Viserys on the far end of the table, his eyes on Jessamyn who was paying him no mind.

Suddenly away from her thoughts, Selena noticed how silent the breakfast table was. Rhaenys seemed to be glaring in Jon and Daenerys's direction ever so often. Jon seemed more upset than usual, leaving Selena with one question.

What had happened last night?

She knew what had happened to her with Jaime's proposal and her unintentional and rather personal conversation with Daenerys. That didn't explain why Rhaenys would be angry with Daenerys.

Violet eyes land on her again and Selena drops her fork down onto her plate, "Stop looking at me."

The loud clink draws the attention of everyone else at the table, but Selena doesn't care. She wants Daenerys to stop looking at her, or at least be bold enough to speak to her.

"I'm sorry," Daenerys instantly apologizes.

"If you have something to say, then say it," Selena asserts, and Daenerys looks away shyly again.

"I have nothing to say," Daenerys tells her.

"Then why are you looking at me?" Selena asks and Daenerys's cheeks flush, as well as the tip of her ears. Selena doesn't understand why she's so embarrassed, it's a simple question, but the other girl seems to take it as something more. Perhaps she had thought she had been discreet in her staring and had not intended to be called out on it.

"I didn't mean to," Daenerys answers meekly, "I'm sorry."

Tired of hearing Daenerys's apologies, Selena stands from her seat and leaves the dining hall. She's happy when she doesn't hear the steps of her ladies behind her. She wanted to be alone, needed to be.

She had been so stupid last night talking to Daenerys as though the two of them were friends. They were not and yet Selena had almost blurred the lines.

"There you are," Jaime's voice calls out to her. Steffon is beside him, indicating that the brothers had eaten breakfast together that morning, "I've been looking for you since last night."