xvi.

BLOOD WARS | XVI.
SELENA BARATHEON
Blackwater Bay | 300 a.c.

SELENA PULLS AWAY FROM DAENERYS'S hug smiles at her

SELENA PULLS AWAY FROM DAENERYS'S hug smiles at her. Making sure that Daenerys had her dragon eggs was the least that she could do after Daenerys's crazy sacrifices for her plan.

"You're bleeding," Daenerys points out as she looks at the blood that was trailing down Selena's arm. Rhaegar had cut her after Daenerys had shot him with the first arrow, but it hadn't been too deep, so at the moment, she didn't really worry about it.

"I'm fine," Selena insists, but Daenerys ignores her as she tears off part of her dress and uses it to wrap Selena's arm. Daenerys looks up at her and blushes before quickly focusing on her arm. Selena is thankful because she can feel herself blushing as well.

"So, um you're actually really good at archery," Selena says as she looks away from Daenerys, "I don't think you ever needed my help."

"I didn't," Daenerys confesses, "I've been taking lessons since I was five, with the best archers in Westeros. I just asked you because I wanted to spend time with you."

"Oh," Selena says slightly speechless.

"Done," Daenerys says as she pulls away, "But I know nothing about wrapping wounds so you might want to get a maester to look at that."

"Noted," Selena says.

They fall into silence, but Selena can tell that there's something weighing on Daenerys's mind as she stares off at the ocean beneath them.

"Why did you come back?" Daenerys asks suddenly, her head turning to look at Selena.

Selena laughs, "Why wouldn't I come back? You told me your plan and all I heard in my head was a scream for help because you seem to have lost all self-preservation."

"I did not," Daenerys answers quickly, "I just really wanted to save Viserys and I didn't want Rhaegar to hurt you."

"Well I didn't want him to hurt you either," Selena answers, "Why did you choose me?"

"What?" Daenerys asks and Selena smiles.

"You heard me. Rhaegar's become the very thing he fears. There's still some humanity in him, didn't you want to see if you could save him?" Selena asks genuinely. Daenerys could fill Rhaegar with as many arrows as she wanted, that still didn't change the fact that she loved him.

"Despite what you think, choosing you wasn't a hard decision to make, Selena. I trust you, more than I trust Rhaegar. If I had to make the decision again, I'd choose you," Daenerys says with a shrug, "That's what we do now, right? Protect each other?"

Selena nods slowly, somehow unable to fathom the idea that Daenerys would choose her over Rhaegar, "Yeah, I guess so."

"So, you're finally going home. Nervous?" Daenerys asked her. The truth was that Selena hadn't had much time to think about going home.