xii.

BLOOD WARS | XII.
SELENA BARATHEON
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

"I'VE WRITTEN TO MY BROTHERS IN DORNE

"I'VE WRITTEN TO MY BROTHERS IN DORNE."

Selena feels rather smug with herself as Elia begins to share her concerns about Rhaegar's behavior. She distracts herself by tracing a finger over the spines of the books in the castle library. It seemed to be the only place they could meet without worrying about wandering ears.

"A potential mad king," Selena says as she turns away from the books, making her way back to the center of the library, "I can't say I'm surprised."

Her remark receives a glare from Elia, one that she simply shrugs off.

"Father can't be mad," Rhaenys says, "I'm sure Daenerys was exaggerating."

"Daenerys worships Rhaegar," Selena says, "If she was shaken, then she had a reason to be."

Elia sighs, "I'm not sure what's going on with Rhaegar. However, I don't plan on taking any chances."

"Meaning?" Selena asks, trying to hide her excitement. She hoped that it meant that Elia's younger brother was coming to King's Landing. He was nicknamed the Red Viper throughout the Seven Kingdoms.

After the war, he visited constantly, and Selena loved it every time he came. He always brought her gifts and had been the one to spark up her interest in archery.

"I saw Aerys's descent into madness and I did nothing to protect myself or you and Aegon. I won't make that mistake again," Elia says looking at Rhaenys with a loving and protective intensity that only a mother could show. Selena glances away feeling a void in her chest. No one had ever looked at her that way. No one had wanted to protect her.

Except for Jaime.

"Oberyn will be able to protect us in King's Landing while Doran prepares the banners," Elia says, "When he gets here, we do not speak of the annulment."

"Why not?" Selena asks, "Oberyn and Doran could do something."

"They will want war and I will not allow that," Elia says, "At least not now. Not until we have a reason for it."

Selena scoffs, "We have a reason! Aegon is being stripped of his birth right! Rhaegar is apparently descending into madness, we have plenty of reason!"

"Keep your voice down," Rhaenys says slapping her on the arm.

"I'm sorry, but we have every reason to act," Selena says, lowering her voice as Rhaenys commanded.

"War is not to be taken lightly, Selena. You're going home. Bite your tongue till then."

It's not a suggestion, it's a command and Selena has never taken commands well.

"Fine," Selena says, "But when Rhaegar starts burning people alive, it'll be the two of you that suffers. Not me."

Without another word, Selena walks out of the library.