xiv.

BLOOD WARS | XIV.
SELENA BARATHEON
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

SELENA HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP that night

SELENA HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP that night. She watched Daenerys, curious at how someone could sleep so soundly after the horrors they had seen. There was no way Viserys had survived, Rhaegar would not allow him to.

How were she and Daenerys to carry on like they had seen nothing? Selena could bluff her way through a lot of things, but she wasn't sure she could put on a convincing performance for this.

"Selena," she heard her name whispered. She looked down to see Daenerys looking up at her through squinted eyes, "What time is it?"

"Morning," Selena muttered, "Did you sleep alright?"

"I suppose," Daenerys tells her as she rubs her eyes aggressively. She blinks twice at Selena before frowning, "Did you sleep at all?"

"No," Selena answers honestly.

"You should-"

"I'm fine," Selena says instantly. She couldn't go to sleep, she feared what she may see in the darkness behind her lids, but she wasn't going to admit that to Daenerys. She stands from the bed, causing Daenerys to sit up quickly, silver hair falling over her shoulder.

"Are you leaving?"

Selena nods, "I have to return to my room. It'll look suspicious if I'm caught leaving here."

Daenerys nods, "Right."

"Everything will be fine," Selena says and Daenerys smiles at her, it's not a full smile, but it's a smile either way.

"It's not," Daenerys tells her, "But I appreciate the lie."

Selena offers Daenerys a weak smile in turn before she heads out of Daenerys's room. She closes the door gently before making a beeline for her room. She feared what she'd find. Yet there was nothing and no one.

She entered her room and sat on her bed in an attempt to regain control. Rhaegar had stabbed his brother. He'd also revealed his secret, something that Daenerys was now also aware of. Selena would have feared that Daenerys would inform Rhaegar of her knowledge, but after what she saw, she thought the opposite.

There was a knock at her door and Selena took a deep breath before she opened it. Jaime stood there in his Kingsguard armor. Selena felt a rush of relief as the Lannister stared down at her.

"I came to check up on you last night after the attack, but you weren't here," Jaime says to her and Selena's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"What attack?"

"Prince Viserys, someone snuck into the castle and stabbed him. Maester Pycelle says that he should survive, though he hasn't woken," Jaime informs her and Selena nods slowly as she digests the information.