Chapter 5

I lumber away from the mess pavilion, full and happy. At least, that's what the people around me think. At first I scowled at the thought of laughing and talking with these annoying strangers that apparently belive me to be an alien, but it got easier as I went, which led to officially befriending Aiden. He isn't such bad company, but I would still much rather be alone.

"Hey, what are you thinking?"

"Hm? Oh, just about Mr D's little 'speech.'"

AIden grimaces. "Yeah, sorry about that. Trust me, you get used to it."

Mr D is an odd character, I think. Aside from the vine incedent, which was very weird indeed, his speech consisted of a reluctant welcome and a begrudged list of notices. One, I was quite alarmed to hear, was capture the flag tournament on Friday. It's currnetly Tuesday night, which gives me very little time to learn the skills I probably need to not die.

"It's fine," assured Aiden as they ate delicious food off platters. "No one's died in years."

I raised my eyebrow, but tried not to let my concern show, which has proven to be an effective tactic. The other campers are still wary around me, but Aiden is friendly, Orca is curious and friendly, and Drake is annoyingly curious.

"Wait, where are we going?" I frown when I realise that we're not headed to the cabin. Aiden smiles warmly at me. "Oh, we do camp fire sing-along before bed. Come on, the Apollo cabin leads it."

He grabs my hand and leads me to a large camp fire, the orange flames lapping at the air like a thirsty cat; twirling and cackling as if it knows something that I don't.

We sit on one of the many stone benches surrounding the fire. Aiden scrabbles around in the grass until he presents me with two long sticks. I look at them quizzically until he pulls out a bag of marshmellows. "What's the fun in singing around a camp fire with no marshmellows?"

I smile and take his offered stick and marshmellow, skewering it and roasting it slowly. When the other campers are nearly seated and settled, I tear it off the stick with my teeth and work my jaw on the chewy sweetness. "Perfect."

I grab another and Aiden follows suit, licking his lips in anticipation of the taste. While he again roasts his delicacy with tender and care, I dip mine into the flames. When it catches, I pull it out and stare at it. Aiden frowns. "Wha'd you do that for?" He says through a thick mouthful.

I shrug. "Sometimes I like to just watch it burn."

If Aiden was planning to reply, he's interrupted ny the Apollo cabin. They begin with a fun and fast song, making a good start to the hour ahead. I don't bother singing along, but continue staring at my burning marshmellow, the flames behind it turning a light shade of yellow.

At ten, the campers begin to desperse from the fire, leaving behind the glowing yellow flames, which rose to at least fifteen feet high during the evening. Aiden explains about the magical properties of the fire as we stroll to cabin eleven. I listen, interested, and I'm glad to get away from the quick glances and whispers.

I decide to get straight to bed when we arrive, not bothering to look at the cabin schedule until morning. I settle into my sleeping bag, using my own bag as a pillow, and slowly drift off to sleep to the thoughts of how well my plan is going.

* * *

I feel so content, so happy, so peaceful. I could stand here forever. Well, I suppose I will now.

The spot I have picked, a greek-styled building which is modest but spacious, has a beautiful, curving marble balcony that looks out over the beaches across the water, bring the wafting smells and sounds of barbecues and laughter, sizzling and talking. I sip my cool wine, enjoing the sunlight gently warming my skin. In the distance, the golden gates glimmer, large and magnificent enough to block out the unfortunate souls on the other side.

A shadow passes over me. I start with fright. A mighty presence urges at me, but I resist as much as I can. I did my part, I worked hard and landed myself an eternal place here, they can't do this! The presence urges harder and I feel the smells and laughter slipping away as I-

I gasp as my eyes snap open. Everything is silent save for my rugged panting and the night creatures outside. I sit up, only to find the sleeping figures of my cabin mates bathed in moonlight. I try to shut my heart up, forcing the adrenaline from my blood stream.

It was just a dream.

______

Hey! How did you like the chapter?

Sorry for the late updates. I had a bit of block, then I procrastinated... That's over now. Im back, and I'm writing.

I really hope you're enjoying this so far. From past comments, it seems like it. And 18 votes and 235 reads?! Woo!

Don't forget to add this to your libraries so you don't miss an update, and follow me if you're interested in my other stuff.

Do you have any guesses as to who Audin's parents might be? Comment your guesses, I would love to hear them.

Vote, comment and follow if you will,

Rainbow_Ink