Chapter 4

Orca finally seems to be lost for words, and I'm grateful for the silence. I try to think back and see if I can actually remember any piece of information about the gods, but it's all scrambled.

We reach cabin eleven, and it looks used, but sort of cosy. The brown paint is peeling to reveal worn wood, and a symbol, a winged pole with two snakes wrapped around it, governs the door way. I assume it's Hermes' symbol. "Well, this is your cabin. Go inside and make yourself at home." Orca bounces off before I can stop her.

As I step through the doorway, everyone stops and looks at me. "Uhh... Hi." 

A lot of people smile at me, which makes me feel a little less awkward. The cabin looks like it has more people than any other, but it isn't very packed. A tall guy with black, curly hair and eyes as brown as his skin squeezes to the front. "Determined or undetermined?"

Some of the campers snigger at me, probably expecting me to be confused. Well, I am, but I think back to something Orca said. "...Undetermined?"

The boy nods. "Okay. But don't worry, you'll be claimed soon enough." He guides me in. "I'm Aiden, the councillor of this cabin. What's your name?"

Wow, he's so charming and smooth... Shut up. "Audin," I reply in monotone. He nods. "Audin. Okay then. You can dump your stuff wherever you want, as long as it's out of the way."

I nod and walk over to the corner, so I don't have to sleep next to anyone. Someone walks over to me with a sleeping bag. "Here, you'll need this." I thank him and lay it out. I'm about to drop my bag on top of it when I remember that Hermes is the god of thieves.

"We're about to finish up our free time, but you don't have to join us on the activities if you don't want to. I would show you around, but-"

"You've got a cabin to watch out for. I get it. I've been shown around, anyway."

"Yeah, but it was a brief tour."

Aiden and I spin to see Drake at the door way. I am highly irritated to see him, as always, leaning and smirking. "Why do you care, dufus? What's wrong, can't stand up on your own two feet?"

I suddenly notice that the cabin has gone quiet. Drake's smirk drops. "Listen, newbee. You better watch who you mess with."

"Oh yeah?" I sneer. "You're a tough guy, I'm sure."

Drake laughs and allows his smirk to return. "It's not me you have to watch out for."

"Beat it, Drake. She's my territory now."

Drake laughs at Aiden and saunters off. I turn to Aiden again. "Territory, huh?"

Aiden's eyes widen. "That's not what I meant, I was just trying to-"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm gonna go take a look around."

I stride out of the cabin before anyone can stop me.

* * *

I sigh as I walts around the lake. You idiot. You can't turn everyone against you, you need someone who knows the ins and outs before you can stand up for yourself. I kick a stone. I've gotta get out of here. Maybe if I-

"What do you think you're doing, meat sack?"

I look up to see a big and furious guy. He has bright blond hair, bulging muscles and... Red eyes?

"You think it's funny to kick rocks at people? You think it's funny to kick them at me?"

He starts stomping toward me, and I'm freakishly reminded of Owen, but with more anger and less troll. "So you did feel it... Weird." You moron.

"I'm gonna crush your head in-" 

"Oh shut up, I just kicked it. Maybe you're a rock magnet; that's not my fault."

He rises to loom above me, and I just succeed in keeping myself from gulping. "You're dead, meat sack."

He pulls back a big, meaty fist, but I refuse to look away in terror. Instead, I glare at him, wishing I could tie him up and see if he's such a big guy then.

Just as the thought occurs to me, vines erupt from the ground and latch around his fist, locking it to his side. More and more vines come and he's soon engulfed, writhing as they wrap around him like a Christmas present.

"Ah- what did you- freak!"

"What was that, Mr Jakes?"

The vines pause, and the boy writhes a bit more before freezing. "S-sir?"

Mr D leans in dangerously close to him. "Did you describe my ability - me - as freak?"

The quiet voice makes me shiver, and the boy must be crapping his pants. "N-no, sir."

"Are you lying to me?"

The boy cringes. "Please sir, I was just..."

Mr D sighs. "I don't care. Just don't do it again."

The vines retreat and the boy gets up, rubbing the areas where they gripped too tight. "Fine."

Mr D begins to walk away. "It's Jacks you dumb butt," the boy whispers under his breath.

Mr D pauses, and the boy flinches. He simply moves on to approach me. I hear another boy yell out, "C'mon, Kallum!"

The boy, Kallum, runs off as Mr D fills my vision. "Yes... You are a mystery, aren't you? Have fun solving yourself." Before I can ask him what the heck he means, he strides back to the house. I look at the mysterious god in the tiger patterened shirt and wonder what he knows that I don't.

* * *

I come full circle around the lake feeling refreshed. Okay, make friends. Play nice. Learn the system. I see Aiden approaching me with caution. "Hi, Audin. I, uh, just wanted to tell you that the schedule is up in the cabon, so you know what we're doing tomorrow."

I nod at him, and force a smile. "Thanks, I'll take a look later."

He opens his mouth to speak again when a gallopping blur interrupts him. "Audin! Hi! Come and get some dinner with me. We can't sit together, you have to sit with cabin eleven because we all have to sit with our cabin mates, but you can with me and I'll show you your seat." She grins at me.

"I, uh... Sure." I remember my plan and give Aiden a look of apology, and he seems to understand. Orca leads me off in a babble of talk.

"You can actually choose whatever drink you want, it's so cool. Anything in the world. And there are really nice platters of food but you have to sacrifice some. And there are a lot of campers but it won't be as crowded as usual. You're lucky you got here in Autumn, there are less campers. Only the year-rounders."

I smile and pretend to know what she's talking about as we walk to dinner.

______

Hey peeps! Sorry I didn't get around to updating yesterday, my first day back at school was today and I had to prepare.

Did you enjoy the chapter? Sorry, I know that it was kinda broken up and weird, but I needed a filler. Sometimes chill chapters are a nice break, right?

Anyway, what was your favorite part? Are you curious about Audin's godly parent, or her plans? Do you like the characters very much? What was your least favorite part? Comment your thoughts and feedback below if you like, it's fun seeing your guesses.

I'll see you next week my little lemon drops, so we can continue our very important work.

Someone get it. I need quote acknowledgement and acceptance.

Vote, comment, and follow if you will,

Rainbow_Ink