Chapter 6

I open my eyes. I can hear shuffling and talking around me, and I groan inwardly. Another day in this hell hole they call an orphanage.

I abruptly sit up, memories flooding back. I swing my head from side to side, eyes darting around the cabin. Dream. Hermes. Gods. I cringe away from the sight of some over-confident dressers.

"Hey."

I take a deep breath and look up to see Aiden. "Morning."

He grins. "Cheer up, you get to do activities today. Do you need anything? You could check out the schedule while I pick some stuff up for you."

I shrug. "Okay. Tooth brush, tooth paste and a hair brush?"

"Sure."

He strides out of the door. I stare after him for a moment before moving to the wall, where an old piece of paper is pinned up. The schedule for the day reads:

8AM - Breakfast and cabin inspection

9-11AM - WInged horse riding w/Demeter cabin (trail then ariel combat)

11-12PM - Archery w/Chiron

12-2PM - Monster assault techniques and picnic lunch

2-4PM - Free choice: arts and crafts OR canoe racing OR climbing wall

4-5PM - Sword practice

5-6PM - Free time, volleyball, cabin clean up

6-9PM - Dinner

9-10PM - Sing along w/Apollo cabin

10PM - Get ready for bed, lights out by 11PM

Pretty tight schedule.

"Here, I got you some stuff." I turn around to see Aiden holding a bunch of stuff out for me. "Oh, thanks. Hey, I don't need a shirt-"

"Yes you do. Camp rules, camp shirt."

I sigh and nod. As soon as I turn away from him, I scowl at the bright orange material. Why orange? Why... Why not purple? Purple's a good colour. I allow myself the scowl a second longer before cutting it off. I pick up my bag and head to the bathroom block, where I will be much more comfortable changing in.

When I arrive, I'm quite surprised. It's a little smelly and grubby, but not nearly as much as a public toilet, for which I'm grateful for. Going as fast as I can, I change into jean shorts and the sickly t-shirt. What, are they trying to make me belong?

After a quick fix-up of my appearance, I don my bag and head out. When I see that everyone is leaving the cabins, I follow them to the mess hall.

I stalk into the open pavilion, finding a seat at the Hermes table and thinking of what I want for breakfast. When the wood nymps appear with the platters, I decide on making myself some fresh bread with smeared cheese on it, topped with grapes and strawberries. When I add a sausage to the side, I lick my lips in anticipation and get up to scrape the best of it into the fire.

My deed done and burned, I make my way back to the table. As I sit, I start when a figure bolts into the seat across from me. At first I suspect Orca, but then remember that she has to sit with her own cabin.

"Hi, I'm Archie. You're the new unclaimed kid, right? Audin?"

I blink a few times and nod. "Yeah, I guess I am."

"Archie!"

Aiden strides over and plops himself next to the lanky guy with sandy blond hair and a cheeky grin. "Archie, I said to act natural. Not this."