Chapter 22

As soon as I'm through the door, which is equipped with a polite bell to announce my arrival, an icy feeling washes through my insides. I shiver and look behind me: that is apparently the feeling of walking through a spirit.

The waiting room is crowded with them; old spirits, middle-aged spirits, even a few young ones. But they're all just wandering around without a purpose, and the only activity I notice from them is the occasional dark look at...

Mr Italian Suit. Like his light silk outfit, he looks elegant, like a man who runs a fashion business. His fierce gaze pierces through his tortoiseshell shades and into me, tempting me into leaving and bathing in the sunlight outside. Instead, I swallow the ice and advance toward the desk.

"Good morning," I greet, flashing him a wide smile. "You must be Charon?"

He gestures lazily to a silver nametag on his jacket, indeed reading Charon. "Obviously," he drawls with a rich British accent.

I try not to let my smile falter. "I've been looking forward to seeing you; I've heard much about you."

He seems to perk up at that: if there's one thing I've learned about immortals, it's that they never get tired of flattery. Narcissistic jerks. "Why, you have? Indeed. Well, this has been wonderful, but I do not ferry the living into the dead realm. Please step aside so I can continue with my duties."

I groan quietly. "Look, I-"

"Have people to save, a prophecy to fulfil, blah blah blah. You think I care anymore than I do about any other hero?" He peers closer at me. "Though, you are an odd one."

I make myself look as tall and regal as possible. "And you think I care about your stupid suit or your stupid job? Neither of us want to be here, right? Help me and I'll help you."

He raises a blond eyebrow. "How so?"

I bite my lip; I hadn't prepared for this part. "I'll..." An idea shoots into my skull. "I'll direct you to the most entrancing game ever created. You will never get bored." He seemed so at my suggestion. "And... I'll pay for it. We wouldn't want to use money you could use on your suits."

He sighs. "Bring me this fantastic game and you will have passage." He pauses, then smirks down at me. "And you must beat me at it."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. Don't go anywhere."

He does too. "What a shame, I was just planning to."

As I turn to leave, he speaks. "Oh, and hero? If you lose, I can do what ever I like with your life."

___

Great, now I have to find an electronics store and spend the rest of the money the camp gave me. All for a stupid game.

I spot a store across the road and stomp over, wondering whether I should buy a Nintendo or an iPod. "Whichever is cheapest," I grumble to myself.

I enter the store and peruse the isles, examining various gadgets of varying prices that make me cringe. I am not spending hundreds of dollars on the Underworld.

And then my eyes widen ,at the smallest price tag I've seen yet. My eyes flash up hopefully to the device: a Tamagotchi.

I bite my lip. I have never owned one of those, but I've played ones that belong to others. Could I beat Charon at one of the games?

I snatch a packet off the shelf and stride up to the counter. "Present for a sister?" Asks the smiling cashier. "Battling for a ride to the Underworld," I reply in monotone. I give her the money.

She hands me back the packet; partially scowling, partially perplexed. I nod thanks and head back to the 'record store.'

Charon lazily looks up at me when the bell tinkles again. "Ah, you have returned. That was quick. Which of the latest fancy I-touches have you-" He falters when I present the Tamagotchi. "What is this?"

I shrug. "A kid's toy that is several years old. Ready?"

He nods hesitantly. I tear into the packaging and take out a small, pink, round piece of plastic with a small grey screen in the middle, like an old box-television. The design is dotted with colourful balloons. How suiting.

Charon waits in an awkward silence as I hatch an egg, waiting for my 'pet' to be born. "Hurry up already," I mutter with frustration. I name the boy 'Percy,' which is the first thing that comes to mind.

Charon frowns at this. "Where did you get that name?"

I shrug. "Why?"

He doesn't reply.

The baby is finally moving from side to side on the screen. I find the game icon and scroll through the games. "Uh, do you want to play jump rope, or-"

"Just pick one!" He snaps.

I click on the jump rope game. "Okay," I begin. "You go first. Get the highest score you can. Then I'll beat it."

He chuckles. "If you insist."

He snatches the Tamagotchi off me and begins pushing buttons with such intensity that I nearly laugh, aside from the fact that I'm scared for my and my friend's lives.

With every 'boop' I cringe, knowing that it signals another point for the Ferry Man. My breathing starts getting deeper and anxiety begins to overtake me. How can he play for so long?

"No!"

My head snaps up and I see him smack the Tamagotchi on the desk. The screen reveals his final score: 99.

"I hate getting an uneven score," he mutters angrily.

I take up the Tamagotchi in my hands, which are shaking. My thumb slowly descends upon the 'go' button.

I push jump. Then again. Contrary to my prior thoughts, this is quite easy. It must have been difficult as a kid, but certainly not now.

But then the rope comes around faster, and I nearly miss the jump. I bite my lip; can I do this?

My eyes flick to the score: 27. I still have ages to go!

In my peripheral vision I see Charon smirking, just waiting for me to slip up and lose. Will he kill me if I lose?

"By the way, hero, I'm going to kill you if you lose."

Great.

I look at the score again: 65. A bead of sweat oozes down my cheek.

I feel as if I'm outside of time; have I been doing this for thirty seconds or thirty years?

My heart stops when I miss the button, and the machine emits an electronic, 'uh-oh.'

______

I KNOW IM HORRIBLE IM SO SO SO SO SORRY I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD ON THIS CHAPTER AND I WILL UPDATE AGAIN ASAP!!!

I'm going away next week, so I'll be busy, but I should be able to do some writing.

Did you guys like the chapter? I hope so! I'm really happy that the reads have surpassed 2.5k by the way. Thank you!!!

Has Audin won or lost? Is there still time to save Drake and Orca?

Vote, comment, and follow if you will,

K.C. Bailey