Chapter 9

Hana grins as I stride into the forge. "Ha, you look like a puppy getting a bone." I raise an eyebrow and she chuckles. "Okay, a little exaggerated. But you do seem pretty keen."

I allow myself to grin back and follow her into the forge. My grin fades. What the hell do you think you're doing?! You're not here to be friendly, you're here to learn! I make my face relax and have settled into a monotone expression by the time we reach our work space. When Hana turns to me and sees my expression, she raises her eyebrows, but doesn't ask questions. Thank god. Well, gods.

"'Kay then! I figured since you did so well on the practise, we can get right to the sword." She holds up a finger. "But, it will require planning, so be patient." I nod, once, firmly. She raises an eyebrow again, but coninues to leave me be.

"I tracked down heaps of paper to draft on." She pats the table which is covered in sheets and sheets of paper. "This might take a few sessions, so we can do half planning and half practising." She hands me a pencil and procures one of her own from her pocket.

We lean over the table, and when I look at her I see that a thoughtful look has dominated her face. "Okay. What kind of sword are we making?'

I think back to Archie's advice. "Light but heavy enough to inflict appropriate damage, long but not too long and thin yet strong." She lets out a low whistle. "Well then," she says. "This will be an awesome challenge."

She begins sketching and I raise my eyebrows. She must have a lot of experience. She constantly asks me questions on how I would prefer the shape and length, but she mostly does the work herself. Soon, there is a simple sketch of a decent sword.

She nods down at the work, fixing up a few lines here and there. "Well, there's the basic strucure." Basic structure? I let out a small laugh of disbelief. "So, what's next, the complicated design?"

She smirks at me. "I don't know about you, but I would never own a weapon that doesn't have some cool contraptions included." A small smile leaks acoss my face. "Let's get planning then."

 She reaches into her box of random things and brings out a book absoulutely crammed with pages and pages of grubby work. "This is the supreme book of ideas. We won't use any of course, but it's for inspiration purposes." She puts her hand in a random page and heaves the novel open.

I'm the one who lets out a low whistle this time. "Heavy stuff." She grins. "You ain't seen nothin'."

She starts flicking through, and my mind is blown with all of the contraptions people have come up with in the past. A sword that splits into three blades at the push of a button, a staff with a fire charge, even a watch that turns into a shield.

Something clicks in my head. That would be epic... But can it be done?

* * *

I swagger out of the forge, feeling like I could take down Olympus. Then, remembering my mission, I straighten and stride away from the heat.

I see Drake waltzing up to me with a wary look in his eye. What was I doing last night..? I look him up and down with a scowl. "What do you want, Smirk Face?"

Something gropes my stomach when I see something in his face fall. At the same time, we both hastily push our emotions to the side. I push the guilty hand away and he adorns his face with the expression that earnt him his name. "Just seeing if Aiden's 'territory' can find her way around."

"Watch it. You might find a spider in your bed tonight if you're not careful," I sneer. He scowls back at me, and I start to think we might be frozen there for eternity when Aiden walks up. "Hey, what's up you guys?"