Chapter 15

The man's steps abruptly stop echoing. "What the heck was that?" Says Drake.

"Dunno," I shrug. "Maybe it was a mugger looking for a different tactic. Who can beat a sword?"

I smile feebly, but the others won't have any of it. My face falls and I turn away from them. "We should continue."

The pause before Orca replies makes me wonder whether she nodded or shared a suspicious look with Drake. "You're right. Let's go."

We emerge from the alley way and mix with the crowd. I draw my jacket hood up and bend my head low, my face now hidden.

"We should eat," says Orca. "Look, there's a cheap diner over there."

We move toward the side of the road. While Orca continues to the crossing, Drake dodges and zips between moving and beeping vehicles. The cars stop for her as Drake reaches the opposite sidewalk and she walks over to him. I weave in between the stopped cars.

Orca gives both Drake and I withering looks when we reunite. "Maybe next time we should all cross together in a safe manner."

Drake grins. "Since when were you so concerned about health and safety? Galloping isn't so safe."

She pokes her tongue out at him and walks into the diner. She allows me to go first, so I hold the door open for her once I'm inside. When Drake comes close I let it go, causing him to walk into it.

As the pleasant heat sweeps over me I catch the scent of fried food. My stomach grumbles in anticipation.

I follow Orca to a booth and we slide into it opposite each other. Drake glares at me as he seats himself next to her. "That was rude."

I hold in laughter. "But funny. Yeah, it was worth it."

Drake's chance to reply is stolen by the waitress as she steps up, popping her gum and looking bored. "What can I help you with today?" She drones.

"Well," begins Drake. "I have this really bad itch-"

"We'll take three waters, three hamburgers and a large fries," says Orca in alarm.

The waitress raises an eyebrow at Drake before walking back to the kitchen.

Drake shakes with laughter. "Now that was funny."

I can't help but agree with him, but Orca starts talking before I can complement his quick thinking. "We should keep going with the prophecy," she says in a low voice.

I raise my eyebrows. "Why are you murmuring? It's not like anyone is listening." The restaurant isn't very crowded, but the diners are talking quite loud.

"You never know who's being nosy," she says, still murmuring. "The next line is:

The Snatched Hero will be discovered."

"What's a Snatched Hero?" I say, looking particularly at Drake.

"I don't know," he says with a furrowed brow. "I've never heard of it."

"Maybe a hero that's been kidnapped?" Says Orca.

"That makes sense."

"What about the next one?" Says Drake.

"By which a great lie is uncovered," recites Orca.

Drake lets out a low whistle. "Lies are bad enough. But a great lie..."

Orca punches him lightly on the shoulder. "This is serious."

We fall silent when the waitress comes back with our food. She raises an eyebrow in suspicion but is apparently too bored to care a lot.