Chapter 28

The air roars at me as I rush past, the ground getting farther and farther away by the second. I look down again and grin at the sight of bewildered faces fading into darkness. I look forward again and my smile fades a little. Where is Elisa?

I squint harder and can just make out a faint shape zooming back and forth; it's hard to see underground. I convince the air to push me faster.

"Hey, loser!" I yell. "May as well give up now!"

Though it's only by a bit, I can tell she slows down. "Do not bother taunting me, Snatched One. I am too close to my goal to be swayed. You, however..."

We're only a couple of metres apart now. I frown at her. "What?"

"What is your goal? To find your parents? Or to make do with the ones that have presented themselves to you?"

I hesitate before shaking my head, but she notices it and grins. "They lie. You have no parents. You are alone, and you will be forever. You think your little friends down there will accept you? After all this?"

A stone replaces my heart. That's all my heart is though, right? Just an emotionless stone. I was going to abandon them...

I shake my head with anger and speed up again. I came back. I came back. Elisa has sped up and gained an impossible distance on me. How could I win this? I take a deep breath and go as fast as I can. I will win this.

We're both closing in on the rock, but Elisa is far ahead of me. How am I supposed to...?

I'm mere feet from the rock, and I'm still going at break-neck speed. I look desperately over at Elisa, who is grinning maliciously at me. Of course she doesn't need to worry about death, she already is!

I put my arms up, preparing to get a face full of rock. I hit it, and I feel immense pain before I start tumbling into the blackness...

___

"Audin!"

The sharp voice penetrates my mind and I snap my eyes open. I'm back in cabin 2.

I sit up and search the cabin, expecting to see Elisa or Drake. But instead, I notice that the large statue of Hera is missing...

And instead, the real one steps out from behind a pillar. "What are you doing here?"

She sighs. "Listen, child, for we haven't much time. You are tumbling towards Hades' palace as we speak."

I blink a few times as a sudden whooziness over comes me. Hera darts over and grabs my arm. The contacts sharpens my focus. "There," she mutters. "Can't have you leaving."

I yank my arm from her grasp. "What is going on? Is what Elisa said true? That I've been lied to?" That I don't have parents?

Hera swallows and sighs. "This is difficult to explain. Please just listen until I have finished."

I look at her expectantly. She sighs again. "It is true, even I am not your parent, let alone you having mortal parents. Well, you technically do have mortal parents..."

I prepare to interject, but she holds up her hand. "Long ago, us Olympians admitted to ourselves that our heroes weren't always what we call them. Many went wayward or would simply not be strong enough to face the enemies of Olympus. So, we decided that we needed a back-up plan."

I raise an eyebrow. "And you, being you, came up with the plan?"

She gave me an irritated look. "Yes, I did. I suggested that we make an elite hero, with the makings of each throned god behind him or her. They agreed, and each sacrificed a part of their power to create this ultimate hero."

I gulp. "Is it-"

"Wait," she says. "Hades decided to contribute also, but in a different way - he claims that his power shall only be reserved for his descendants." She scoffs. "So, instead, he supplied us a body - a young, miscarriage child who would have faded from existence. But, seeing that she would have been destined for greatness, he chose her.

"We began altering her body as it grew into an infant, allowing it to carry our power and use it. But, contrary to our usual habits, we selected a mortal hero."

I frown. "Why?" An epiphany strikes. "Is that why I couldn't drink the nectar? Dude, I could have died-"

"We selected a mortal body," she interrupts, "because it holds many advantages. Did you not get stabbed tonight, but live?"

I nod warily. "The blade did not affect your mortal flesh because it was a celestial bronze blade, which-"

"Can't harm mortals," I breathe with awe.

She nods with a small smile. "Yes, Audin. You have been saved a fair few times by this advantage, including all the times monsters stalked you when the word got out of a Snatched Hero. When they detected your power and tracked you down, they were confused and repelled by your mortal body and scent - protecting you from any predators." She starightens, looking proud.

"So..." I try to process this information. "Why am I called the Snatched Hero?"

"Well," she begins, shuffling her feet. "You- um..." She sighs. "Have you heard of Elysium? More specifically, the Isles of the Blest?"

I suck in a breath. The dream - In the distance, the golden gates glimmer, large and magnificent enough to block out the unfortunate souls on the other side - and the flashes of memories... "I'm a soul? You took me from the isles?" I ball my fists. "What's wrong with you?! I served my good three lives, fair and square-"

"We needed the insurance that you would be good. That you would fight for our cause and not run astray."

I take a deep breath and look out over the sunlit camp ground. "How do I defeat them?"

Hera sits next to me, making sure to keep her distance. "Use the abilities we gave you. Now that you know the nature of them, they will come with more ease. And your promise on the Styx will aid you."

I nod. "I think she did it too, though." I look into her eyes, and for the first time, see a shadow of worry. "Can I do this?"

She nods. "I can help you when that time comes."

Thee dizzyness sudenly strikes me again. "Go, child! No longer can we wait."

She pushes me onto the bed, but it isn't there and I fall away...

And open my eyes, mid-shriek, to see the ground rising to envelop me.

______

Hey hey hey! DID YOU LIIIKE IT? I'm so happy with this one, and I hope you are too. Was it intriguing? Mind blowing? Perhaps a little cliche, but isn't it a guilty pleasure for us all?

I am so happy with this guys, particulalry your support. This taught me some great lessons on writing, plotting, updating and interraction. Thank you so so much. I love you all.

Final chapter coming very soon...

Vote, comment and follow if you will,

K.C. Bailey