Chapter 13

I slowly open my eyes and blink a few times. I yawn groggily, then start because of my unfamiliar surroundings.

Everything rushes back to me; the lightening, Mr D, Orca, Hera, and I feel a little sick.

I sit up and look around. Cabin 2 is made of white marble and has a large statue of Hera looming in the centre. I wrinkle my nose and keep looking.

I don't know why there are beds in here as Hera isn't supposed to have children; maybe it's for show.

I slowly dress, careful to do it behind the large statue. Yes, I know it's silly, but... I hate Hera.

My mother?

Does that mean I'm a god? She would only ever 'reproduce' with her husband, being the goddess of marriage.

I shake the thought out of my head and swing my back pack on. I'm nearly at the door when I realise that I can leave my things behind.

I put my bag on the bed and turn to the door again when there's are knock. "Audin? It's Orca, you nearly ready?"

"Orca?" I open the door and there she is, smiling brightly, though I see a hint of worry in her face.

"Oh good, you're dressed. Shall we go to breakfast?" I step through the door way and close it behind me. "What are you doing here?" I ask her.

"I figured you would need a friend." Another stab to my chest. "And, since cabin 2 doesn't exactly have a table, I'm guessing you get to pick." She falters a little. "Do you want to sit with me?"

I can't deny that hopeful face. "Sure. Yeah. I guess I need protection."

She smiles. "Great."

Nerves eat away at me as we near the mess pavilion. I can tell that Orca is cautious too, though she is trying to hide it.

How will the campers react? Surely they know it was an accident. I mean, the guy is still alive, but maybe that kind of thing doesn't go down well here. Even if it wasn't intentional.

Aside from the electrocution, I'm an anomaly. I shouldn't exist as a demigod. And if I'm not, then why is there some random new god waltzing around without knowing she is one?

Orca is looking at me expectantly. "Pardon?" I say.

She gives me a nervous smile. "You ready for this?"

Any fear is behind me. At least they might be too afraid to approach me. I lift my head up and put a foreboding look on my face. "Let's go."

We step into the pavilion. It's like a spell is following me as I walk to the other side; everyone behind me goes quiet as I pass. Silence spreads like a disease.

Orca and I hastily grab some food and walk to the fire to scrape it in.

On our way back to the Demeter cabin table, someone sticks their foot out to trip me. I see it a moment early and kick it.

Whoops. Kallum jumps up, his red eyes boring into mine. "What?" I say, before he can fire anything at me. "Got a problem?" I inject as much menace as possible into the phrase.

I see something flash in the red hue. "Of course not."

Slightly surprised, I stalk away, Orca behind me. When we reach the table, a few campers in the direction we're heading stand up and move to different seats, leaving a large space. Suits me. As soon as we sit, conversation resumes.

"You know," says Orca quietly, "using this to your advantage will most likely promote the problem."

I don't look up from my food. "I don't know what you're talking about."

She sighs softly and digs into her own food.

______

We finally finish our breakfast and stand up, ready to leave the mess pavilion. I look over at the Hermes table, but I can't spot Aiden or Archie.

I fill my gaze with a hard look and set off with Orca, careful not to meet anyone's fearful or resentful stares or to hear their timid whispers as I pass.

We are finally out, clear of most campers since we left breakfast early. "Okay," says Orca. "The upside is you can choose all your activities and do them alone. You could aline your timetable with ours, then we can-"

"Audin."

Drake is strolling toward us. He tries a smirk but it fails, so he just lets his face fall. "Chiron wants to see you in the Big House."

I fold my arms. "Why? And how come you were in there, Drake?"

I wish I hadn't asked. "I don't know, it sounds important. And I was watching Jordan."

I falter. "Is-is he doing okay?"

He shrugs and turns back to the House. Annoyed and nervous, I follow him. Orca hesitates. "Come on," I say. "I'm not going anywhere without you."

A smile lights up her face and we follow Drake together.

"So..." She begins. "Are you two a thing?"

I frown at her, then burst out laughing as she looks between Drake and I. "M-me and Drake?" I say through tears.

Orca laughs along. "Haha, okay. Just wondering." I can tell that she isn't convinced.

I look ahead again and see Drake's shoulders are slumped.

The deck thuds as we walk to the front door. "Which room?" Asks Orca.

"Kitchen." Drake leads us to the kitchen, as promised.

Inside is Chiron, trotting nervously, and a red haired woman sitting at the wooden table.

"Ah, Audin, you're here." Chiron inclines his head in my direction. "And Orca. Splendid. We can begin."

We sit down at the table across from the woman, who is smiling at us. Drake, as always, hangs back and leans on the doorframe.

"Hi Audin, Orca, Drake. I'm Rachel, I host the spirit of Delphi."

I raise an eyebrow. "The Oracle?"

She nods. "I convey the prophecies. And I have one for you."

I feel a little unsteady. "Okay. Go ahead."

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. When they open again, they are glowing a plasma green and her voice is hoarse.

"Do stir again, the great doors of death
New comer and two seek to oppress
The Snatched Hero will be discovered
By which a great lie is uncovered."

She relaxes and blinks heavily, her eyes returning to normal.

"So," says Drake. "What does it mean?"

Rachel sighs. "I couldn't tell you, even if I knew. Part of the quest is deciphering the prophecy."

I roll my eyes. "What is it with you Greek gods and making things difficult?"

She smirks at me. "Tell me about it. My old... Friend had quite enough of the gods."

Chiron looks uncomfortable. "Now, Audin, you are the newest at the camp, and Miss Dare here seemed to get her vision as soon as you arrived. But, not only is it allowed that three embark on the quest, but the prophecy specifies it."

I shrug. "Okay. I'll take these two."

Orca looks ecstatic and Drake looks slightly shocked. Then a smirk plays on his face. "You sure you can handle a quest, Mystery Girl?"

I scowl lightly at him. "Try me."

______

Hey guys! OH MY GODS ONE HUNDRED VOTES THIS IS AN HONOUR THANK YOU SO MUUUUUCH.

I hope you guys enjoyed the plot twist last time. But now you can't guess who her parent is ;-;

Or can you? Was it a mistake? Is Hera scheming something again? Is Audin a god? A phenomena demigod? Comment your theories!

Vote, comment and follow if you will,

K.C. Bailey