Chapter 26

If I thought fighting Orca was hard, this is a nightmare. What was I thinking? I, a talentless prat who has less than a fortnights experience of sword fighting, am versing centuries worth of practise and skill, let alone the fact that Otrera is the daughter of Ares.

Her strikes have much more power than mine, so it will only be a matter of time before my arms give out and I've sold myself to the enemy. Her sword is longer, so doesn't that mean I need to stay close? Only advantage: she doesn't know my sword's special feature.

My breath catches when she nearly stabs my stomach. The woman said first to bleed, not spill their guts out! I need to make up a manoeuvre, and fast.

I'm lurched out of my thoughts when my sword is nearly knocked out of my hand. Otrera grins manically and draws the finger of her other hand across her throat. Great, she doesn't care whether I live or not. Or is it scare tactics?

It's now or never. I've examined enough of her fighting pattern and my arms feel like they've been injected with liquid fire. Perhaps I could spin closer to her and change into dagger mode... Or completely risk my life in an idiot move and jump to the ground and stab up, hoping that she doesn't react.

That's an utterly stupid idea that would most likely kill me and least likely work. Isn't it that thinking that has got me here in the first place? I counter one of her strikes as I think. This is vital, so I have to get it right.

Why am I doing this?  I think as I throw myself to the ground.

My body slaps against the icy diamond as my sword changes into a dagger. Otrera's eyes widen and she falters for a moment, a forgotten parry leaving her sword. Alas, her confusion doesn't last and her instincts kick in. She lifts her sword in preparation for a downward thrust, but my weapon is already on its way to her calf.

I yank the dagger across her skin and grin, waiting for the blood to drip out of the cut. But there isn't one. I swipe at her leg again: nothing.

She grins and the celestial bronze of her sword glints in the light. "I am a soul, you fool."

I have been cheated, and I'm about to die.

Everything slows down as she drops her sword toward me, gripping it with malice and using as much force she can muster. I lift my chin and make sure my eyes stay open; I don't want to go down looking like a coward. The point of her weapon is only an inch away from my stomach and I hear the woman exclaim, "No! We need her, you simpleton!"

But it is too late and the sword passes through me.

Wait. How did it pass through me? I look down at my stomach. The sword is protruding from it, but there is no sign of blood, let along my looming death. I look up at Otrera, who also seems to be baffled. She lifts the sword up and stabs me again, but it has no effect upon me.

I grin and leap up, ready to start the fight again. So neither of us can stab the other. Great, this is going to be the longest fight in history. I think. What weapon can affect a soul?

Still looking mystified, Otrera swings her sword at me, but I don't know what she expects to achieve- That's it! Surely her own weapon could harm her. But how can I trick her into cutting herself?

I jump out of the way of her blade, but she's already preparing to execute another blow. What if I get behind her and use her momentum against her?

It's the best I've got, but I'm still fighting a child of Ares.

I clutch my head and gasp as the diamond room swims and changes into what must be Mount Olympus. I can see Hera talking desperately to a man in a biker's outfit and sunglasses.