Chapter 8

I refrain from glaring at the other camp members who were peeking at me during dinner. Why won't they cut it out? Sure, they're waiting on a god to claim me as their daughter, but that doesn't mean they can be rude. Anyway, I heard it happens all the time. I sigh and hunch over, staring into the blue-ish flames lapping at the air.

I freeze when I hear someone behind me whisper, "Gee, this is boring. Is she even a demigod?" Her friend replies, "I heard that she couldn't even drink nectar. She's so weird." I can feel a scream growing within me, so I get up abruptly and walk away from the camp fire. I'm not afraid of screaming at someone, I would just hate it if it ruined my plan.

I stalk to the front porch of cabin 11 and scowl, curling up from the sudden cold that the lack of the camp fire pressed onto me.

"Afraid everyone will explode if they hear you singing?"

My head snaps up to see Drake, leaning against the railing and smirking at me. I scowl even deeper. "Afraid of standing on your own two feet?"

He simply continues to smirk at me. I sigh, my face going slack. "Seriously though, do you ever leave that position?"

He grunts and stands tall with his hands on his hips, looking dramatic. "Better?" He strikes a different pose, this one even more ridiculous. I get the urge to laugh uncontrollably, but I just settle with a smile.

He lets his limbs drop. "What's up? Home sick?' I laugh bitterly. "I'm sure I would be if I knew what a home is."

He flops down next to me, stretching one leg out and bringing the other in so he can rest his chin on his knee. "What makes you say that?"

I don't reply and he sighs. "My...dad dropped me off here a few years back after our house was attacked by monsters. We lived far from any place well populated with monsters, so we were unprepared."

I look at him, really studying his face. It holds sorrow in it as he stares into the distance. Are his eyes shining?

"I ran away from an orphanage in downtown New York. Weird stuff has always happened to me. I don't know anything about my parents and neither does anyone else."

It's his turn to stare at me in wonder, so I look down and pick at the wood. He clears his throat. "So I guess you, uh, didn't like it there."

I take a deep breath and pause. What are you doing? "Orca is one excited chick."

He coughs and looks away. "Yeah, I bet you wish you'd picked me now."

I laugh, all feeling gone from the conversation. "I don't know, Smirk Face, how much are you into history?" He straightens. "As a child of Athena," he says with exaggerated grandness, "I happen to enjoy learning about my roots."

I snort. "Go on then. Teach me. Prove your worthiness."

"Prepare to be amazed," he announces.

My sly cockiness dwindles as the night continues. The singing of the campers is lost to me as he talks about the mother and father of the world, the titans and the giants, the birth and victory of the gods. "Wait, hold on a second. You're telling me that all the gods, and everyone here, are relatives?"

He nods proudly. "Yes. We try to ignore that fact as we fall in love and have little incest-born children."

I make a face. "Adorable." We're silent for a moment. Out of the blue, something Chiron said strikes my mind. "Oh, I was wondering: Why did Chiron say I was mysterious when I told him I'm fourteen?"

"Oh, right. You're supposed to be claimed by the time you're thirteen, no matter whose kid you are. The rule has been around ever since the Battle of Manhatten."

I frown. Chiron's right, I think to myself. My case does just get weirder and weirder. "Oh. weird."

We sit in silence, both of us lost in thought. I'm sure that, like me, he isn't only thinking about the past.

"I better go. See you later, Audin the Mystery." I look up and am almost enraged at how I find him: smirking, leaning against the wall with his arms folded.

I scowl. "Whatever, Smirk Face."

Is that hurt in his eyes? Whatever it was, it's gone in an instant, and he swaggers off to merge with the spreading crowd of the campers, who are apparently finished with their singing.

I stand up just in time to see Aiden clomping up the stairs. He smiles at me, but I see a hint of accusation in his face. "Hey, are you okay? Was that Drake?" He narrows his eyes. "Was he bothering you?"

I laugh carelessly, pulling it off without much effort. "No more than usual. He had his uses; he was teaching me history."

I see something flash across Aiden's face. "Oh, good," he says. He steps closer and nudges me. "But you know, I know my stuff too." I smile at him. "Yeah, well, it happened. If I ever get a sudden thirst for knowledge, I'll look for you."

He smiles, apparently satisfied with my answer. "I'm glad to hear it." He stretches his arms up, his yawn slightly distorting his next words. "We shoud get to bed, I'm knackered and it's nearly time for lights out." He proceeds into the bustling cabin, me following close behind.

I don't notice the yawning and bustling campers around me, or even pay attention as I discretely change into some sleeping clothes, as my mind is deep in thought. When I am finished, I risk leaving my bag in the corner and creep outside to sit on the porch again.

I feel overwhelmed by the events of the last few days and take it one at a time. What was that with Aiden?

I think back to his expression. Jealousy? Why would he feel jealous of Drake? Drake... He let his guard down for me. I let my guard down. What was that? I grit my teeth. Don't let yourself slip again.

I sigh and lean against the railing, trying to settle my mind of spinning thoughts. How has my life changed so quickly?

I reach into my night shirt and bring out the swirling, mottled pendent, staring into its secretive depths. Where are you? I stare off into the night.

Who are you?

______

Sup!

I AM SO SO SO SORRY. A whole month! I feel ashamed. My creative flow has been a little off and I've been distracted. But I'm back on track now, aiming to update at least once a week.

So, interesting chapter, huh? I had extra fun writing that one. Are there ships sprouting? Is there deciet in the air?

Any more guesses on audin's parentage?

Thank you for reading.

Vote, comment and follow if you will,

Rainbow_Ink