Chapter 16

A peacock and an eagle are facing each other, both looking very aggressive. The peacock jumps forward and takes a swipe, but the eagle dodges it. The eagle returns the gesture with the same outcome.

Finally, after much circling, the peacock catches the eagle across the chest with her claws, drawing a train of golden blood. The eagle, looking reluctantly submissive, cries what sounds like an assembly call.

As the dream fades, one sentence swirls around my mind:

"They nearly got her. Do something next time."

I open my eyes and find that I am panting, my forehead slick with sweat.

I must ask Orca about the dreams, I think to myself. Are they normal?

Drake is snoring loudly on the couch and the sheets where Orca was wrapped last night are empty. A stab of fear hits me before I realise that she must be getting breakfast or something. Sure enough, when I look closer at her pillow, there's a note.

Just grabbing some food. Won't be long - O

I think back to my dream. A peacock... Hera's symbol. I shiver at the memory of a blinding white peacock floating above my head.

And an eagle. Zeus, right? So Hera and Zeus were fighting... Hera hurt Zeus? No, it can't have been that bad. But she won... 'They nearly got her. Do something this time.' Our attack.

Hera wants to protect me?

Who nearly got me?

My head whips to the door when the knob turns, and the door opens to reveal Orca, carrying three Starbucks cups and paper bags. "Morning," she murmurs with a smile.

I smile feebly back. "What's the matter?" She asks.

I sigh. "Are weird dreams normal?"

She smiles with... Pity? No, understanding. "Of course. All demigods get those, especially at times like these."

I nod stiffly, but inside I sag with relief. I don't think I could bear being more different.

"Hey, Smirk Face, rise and shine." I take a bag from Orca and throw it at Drake, who awakens with a loud snore and looks with delight into the bag.

"Bagel! How lovely."

I roll my eyes, taking a bite into my own. "Of course food wakes him up."

Orca giggles. "I got coffee too. It'll wake us up a little." I take it gratefully and take a delicious sip, the warmth extending through my body with pleasant tendrils.

"So," I say. "Where do we go?"

Drake gasps and chokes on his mouthful. "Death by fantastic idea," I laugh.

He coughs it up and continues with a spark in his eye. "I finally remember why 'doors of death' sounds familiar. It's from another prophecy, and it's not that old."

Orca's jaw drops. "You don't mean-"

"The Seven prophecy."

I raise an eyebrow. "I'm lost."

Drake shrugs. "Epic battle, only a few years ago. I'll tell you another time. Anyway, it gives me a suggestion on where to go."

He swallows another bite, apparently enjoying being the centre of the suspense. "The Underworld."

I laugh. "Are you kidding?"

Orca sighs. "He's right. That's where we need to go."

"I'm not going to that hell hole." I hesitate. "Literally. Hell hole."