Chapter 27

Most people, when faced with a moment like this, would remark that 'time is standing still' or 'everything slows down.' That is a lie. I release the arrow and it is barely seen as it skims through the air. I don't even see it hit Drake; I only see him suddenly turn and hold his face, with a yell that is quickly switched to a groan.

Orca cradles him. "Let me see,' she insists. He shakes his head and groans again. "Let me see," she repeats.

He slowly turns his face and the sight is horrible. A splatter of blood and clear jelly is running down his cheeks. The arrow is stuck in his eye socket. How could I have done this? I gag on my remorse.

Orca gasps. "Sh-should I pull it out?"

I shake my head but can't take my eyes off him. "No, we should wait until we have medical help."

"Then perhaps," remarks Dorcas, "you should hurry up and pick me a target."

I take a deep breath and count to three before turning to her. "I want you to shoot..." I take a look around. What's a virtually impossible target?

My worry pops. "You have to shoot your top left canine tooth."

Dorcas scoffs. "My tooth? What a ridiculous notion." She turns to the woman. "Surely this is ridiculous, is it not?"

The woman shrugs. "She picked your target. Shoot it."

Dorcas's face slackens. "Fine." She draws her bow, then falters. "How am I supposed to do this?"

I shrug at her. "You have the power of a Hunter. Figure it out."

She tries to turn her bow around so it's facing her, but that position proves much too difficult to hold, let alone shoot. She huffs and looks around the room. I wish I had brought a camera.

She finally aims her bow at a smooth patch of wall and opens her mouth very wide. What, she's going to have it rebound into her mouth? I nearly giggle.

Though it seems impossible, when she draws the arrow back, I can't help but worry. What if I shot Drake's eye for nothing? What if the world is taken over?

She releases the arrow, and this time, the world does seem to slow down. It glances off the diamond wall, careening into the next one. When the arrow makes contact with the second wall, I notice it going off course a little. Surely this won't actually work? I gulp as it glances off the third and final wall and cuts through the air toward Dorcas, who has lowered her bow and is desperately trying to open her mouth as wide as she can, which doesn't, I'll admit, look very attractive.

"Ow!" She screams when the arrow cuts her cheek. "I- She interfered!" She begins frantically pointing at me. "She made me move!"

"I am obliged to say," says the woman without pity, "that the Snatched One has won yet another challenge. Dorcas, stand down."

Dorcas scowls dangerously at me, her cheek oozing blood, and strides to the back of the group.

"My, my, Snatched One. Another seemingly impossible win-"

"Yeah, yeah, enough cryptic-ness. Before I fight someone else, I want answers."

The woman raises her eyebrows. "Well, I suppose this must be frustrating for you. One question is what I grant you." I huff. Fine.

"What is the Snatched Hero?"

Small intakes of breath circulate the room. "Audin," says Hades, "that is not a question to ask the enemy-"

"Quiet!" Demands the woman. "The Snatched One," she says slowly, "is, obviously, a hero that has been snatched."

I try to refrain from growling at her. "That answer wasn't satisfactory."

She cackles at me. "Oh, poor thing. You will get answers soon enough. Now, I am tired of this useless conversing! The next challenge eagerly awaits." She straightens and puffs out her chest. "Audin, it is time for you to face: Elisa, daughter of Zeus."

I wait for someone to step forward, but the woman just remains there, looking like a demented pigeon. "Wait, it's you?" I snort. "Right, sorry. Geez, would never have guessed you as a daughter of Zeus, but okay. What's the challenge?"

She tries to burn a hole through me with her eyes and I can hear her teeth grinding. "I challenge you to a race."

I shrug. "I hate running, but I guess it's worth it. Where?"

She points up. "This is an open ceilinged palace. First to touch the rock above the Underworld wins."

Silence carries the confusion in the room for a moment. Or is it just me? "So, what am I supposed to do, jump?"

She sniggers. "I am a child of Zeus; therefore, I can manipulate air. If you truly are the Snatched Hero, you shall share the ability."

I gulp. I haven't exactly tried flight before, but how hard could it be? I keep my chin up. "I accept. When do we start-"

With a gust of air, she shoots up and out of the room. I swear. "What a-"

"No time, Audin!" Says Orca, still cradling a shivering Drake. "Figure it out or we're screwed!" She looks down at Drake with worry.

I bite my lip and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to block out the sound of the jeering enemy and get some focus. How the heck do I manipulate air? I'm not an airbender. I try to feel the currents of air around me. Time is ticking away, my mind teases. Shut up, I reply.

I try to direct the current under me, using my hands to focus my commands. Amazingly, it is working; I can feel the air rushing over my skin.

"Audin!" Cries Orca.

I snap my eyes open and look down at her awed face. Wait, down? I look at my feet, which are a couple of metres above ground. The enemy is gaping at me.

I grin and shoot up, praying that I can catch up with Elisa.

______

Heya! Hope you like the chapter.

OMGS THIS WAS QUOTED - THTEE TIMES - IN Quotes. From authors to books to authors on Wattpad! By Godsofpercyjackson SO GO CHECK THEM OUT ERMAGERD SO HAPPY!!!

Okay, I'm calm now. Ish :D

I'm really happy with the 1.79k! THANK YOU GUYYYSSS, I really appreciate that you stick with this despite my bad habits. I'm always so happy to see the reads climbing up after I post.

Is there anything wrong with this chapter? Really, if you're not liking something, PLEASE say so in the comments or you can message me. JUST TELL ME IT WOULD MEAN SO MUCH. And there will be something you can feedback on because no story is perfect. Well, except for Harry Potter or Percy Jackson perhaps.

Will Audin win against Elisa? Will she find out who she is? Will Drake survive?

Vote, comment and follow if you will,

K.C. Bailey