Chapter 12 - Yiling

Third Person POV

Lan Xichen made countless efforts to help his brother out of the nightmare but all were useless. In the end he settled on playing the heart cleansing song on Liebing. After an hour or two, Wangji finally settled again and by the next day his fever had broken.

At some time in the early hours of the morning, Xichen had fallen asleep - his head resting on Wangji's bed and hands tightly gripping his brothers cold, sweaty ones. As the sun rose in the dawn sky, the golden rays woke up Wangji. He felt tired and numb but also very determined. Seeing his brother looking so fatigued, he let him sleep before slowly sitting up in bed. He was covered in bandages so he couldn't actually tell where he had been injured, however his pounding headache and general soreness gave him the impression that it had been quite bad.

Thinking about it, he had little memory of what had happened. He could remember entering Qishan, Wen Chao and the disciples leaving, but after that it got hazy. He couldn't remember and decided that it wasn't important. When his brother awoke, he would discuss with him any future plans and ensure that revenge was bestowed upon the Wens. He would have no mercy. They hurt his Wei Ying.

The next few days were quiet and mournful, filled with unspoken regret and repressed emotions. Due to his high spiritual energy, Lan Wangji had reached an almost full recovery and planned to join Jiang Cheng at Yiling. He didn't have to be persuaded to go. Yiling was where the burial mounds were situated and he would be closer to Wei Ying. He would ensure that before they left they scoured every inch of the place - find his corpse to bring home and lay at peace, or at least what remained of it.

Parting at the exit, the Lan brother's nodded at each other.

"Wangji," Xichen sighed "don't hurt yourself. Stay safe. If you want true revenge, you need to be there to see it through."

"I know brother. Don't worry about me." Wangji responded.

'Ahh, you idiot. I will definitely be worried whatever.'  Xichen thought.

And then they left, each heading to different locations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wen Chao's POV

Since the fight at Qishan, we had been searching relentlessly for information on the other clans. Recently, things had taken a turn for the worst. Nie Mingjue had led several successful attacks into Wen Clan territories and had pushed back the border by several miles. In addition, we had screwed up the situation at Qishan. I knew that my best chances were attacking them whilst they were still weak. The sooner the better.

I was impatient for news. Everything had gone quiet on the other side and it felt as though something big was happening. They would never be able to overthrow Qishan and our glorious Wen Clan, but I didn't want to deal with the mess it would make in the process. 

Honestly, I was bored. My father couldn't care less and I wasn't wanted on the front lines. If only I had someone to torture, to hurt. Someone who I could break, to show that I was the best and most superior. How I longed to have one of those arrogant Clan leaders begging piteously at my feet to spare them. I had definitely disposed of the Wei scum to quickly - however satisfying it had been, the sense of victory was wearing off. I should have kept him and killed him slowly, or better made the Lan and Jiang bastards watch as I broke his mind.

A curt knock came at my door and I impatiently let the unknown guest in. It was Wen Zhuliu accompanied by Wang Lingjiao, her sneering face slathered in a thick layer of pasty makeup. 'Ugh.' I thought, 'How annoying, I should really get rid of her soon.' She really was beginning to get on my nerves - so needy and whiny, not even that pretty either. 

"A-Chao, A-Chao I missed you." she wailed in her pitchy annoying voice. She almost jumped on him puckering her sloppy lips and waiting for a kiss. 'Disgusting'.

"Why are you here?" I inquired to Zhuliu.

"We have reports of movements near Yiling. It appears some of the enemy forces are gathering. This could be a good opportunity to attack and locate the headquarters. The Yiling Base also hasn't been manned for a while." he responded.

"In that case we should go immediately. There is no point staying in Qishan. Prepare the soldiers, we'll leave tomorrow."

----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Sorry for not updating sooner. This is really just a filler chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. Would you guys prefer to wait a while for a more detailed chapter on the happenings in Qishan before Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng reunite or just for me to skip pretty much straight to the reunion. I really want to start writing the reunion because the plot following is what I originally intended the book to be focused on. 

Please leave any comments and votes! Thanks a lot for reading my story!