Chapter 16 - Suffering

Third Person POV

Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng were speechless. It was ten times worse than anything they could've imagined. Seeing Wei Wuxian so normalised and seemingly well before had implanted the false impression that everything was okay; that it hadn't been too bad. But they were wrong. The Wens had destroyed a life in its prime, a life so important to so many, and they would pay.

Jiang Cheng couldn't hold it back and began to sob again. Loud, unfettered cries full of sorrow and remorse and guilt. 

"Wei Ying..." whispered Wangji, horror and pain evident in his voice. Unbeknownst to the others, tears threatened. 

The crying was getting louder and it agitated Wei Ying.

"Stop! STOP! Please don't cry. It's fine. I'm okay."

But it wasn't okay.

"This is why I didn't want to show you".

"I don't understand." cried Jiang Cheng

"It doesn't matter. I'll bring back the energy."

"DON'T" 

The tone was final and stern

"Don't," he repeated softer,"you'll hurt yourself".

"What?"

"He was covering his injuries with amassed dark energy. It will cause damage if sustained for long periods."

"I'll explain. The only reason I have been using it was to scare the Wens, to make them believe that their attempts were futile and that they didn't hurt me. To show Wen Chao that I'll always be better and stronger than him. That we are a force to be reckoned with. But then you came."

"I have only recently been in a state that I could leave the burial mounds and I hadn't anticipated meeting you so soon. I don't really know what I planned to do, but all I knew was that I couldn't let you see me like this. So hopeless and weak. I am aware that I am not strong enough to hold the barrier forever - one day, you would see the reality - but that didn't have to be my only option. I could die in battle, sacrifice myself for the cause, see it through to its end and just peacefully leave. If there is one thing that I have learnt it is that death is not something to fear and cower from."

"In fact, during those long, monotonous days, how often did I wish for its quiet darkness to wash over me, remove the pain. But when I saw you today, I realised I couldn't. Dying would be selfish. The emotions I have long forgotten - happiness, love, hope - were there in your eyes. But how can I hurt you? How can I ever go back. How much I miss it all, the people, the places, the innocence but I am a changed person. Instead of the unfaltering happy impression of before could you honestly tell me that every time I am around you wouldn't feel pity, morose? That the sight of my distorted face wouldn't scare people away? My home is gone, if Lotus Pier even was my home in the first place. Everything has burnt or destroyed or slaughtered."

"How can I bear to see Shijie again? She will be horrified by me, feel guilty that she wasn't with us. Without the energy, I am useless. I am blind. Completely. Without gathering energy I would never be able to see again. And..."

Jiang Cheng's sobbing continued as they both looked up to see why Wei Ying had stopped. the shaking was worse than ever and his pale skin was sickly. He was clutching his head in pain.

"What's wrong?" They said in unison but Wei Wuxian didn't answer, suddenly collapsing. Wangji caught him in his outstretched arms before setting him down to examine him.

"He's got a high fever and is probably exhausted. We will take him back to the inn and buy medicine. We will stay there until he is in a safe condition and we can let the disciples rest while we are at it. I will message my brother and inform him that the situation with the Wens is sorted but that we will be held up for a few days. Once Wei Ying is conscious, we can discuss what he wants to do."

"Okay" agreed Jiang Cheng who was also overly exhausted from the days of travelling and the shocking revelations. 

Jiang Cheng was sent off to escort the disciples whilst Lan Zhan flew Bichen with Wei Ying.

-----------------------------------------------

Authors Note:

This is the second update for today! Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment.