Chapter 25

3rd Person POV

The room fell eerily quiet as an ominous tension built. What would happen next?

Wei Ying knew that he would be chastised and dissaproved of if he refused (that was how it had been set up by the vile man) and yet he could not surrender the tools. If not just because of his personal interest - Wei Ying needed his tools to maintain a position in the cultivational world - he would never let the power that came with the tools get into the hands of such an insatiable, greedy, monopolising man. He doubted the man would be able to control it and to fight against the poisonous thoughts it instilled, so it would be a useless endeavour. You couldn't just use and harness the power, it was a constant battle between control and weakness, which no other could understand.

But he couldn't say any of this or he would have a halls worth of swords at his throat. 

"Chief Cultivator," he said, sightly spitting out the words with hatred insinuated in his tone,"for what reason should I hand over this tool. Forgive me for suggesting this but - hypothetically - would you not be just as much of a threat with this as I am, perhaps even more because of your unfamiliarity of how to control it. We have just seen what happens when a man in a position of power defects and look at the damage that has been done. Could that not be you in future?"

Gasps spread around the room - Jin Guangshan glared, Lan Wangji hid a smirk, Lan Xichen looked worried, Jiang Yanli also and Jiang Cheng glared at him with an expression indicative of fury, shame and fear. Some small clan leader spoke up all of a sudden, "How dare you slander the chief?", he shouted angrily but Wei Ying would not be provoked. Meng Yao - newly instated as Jin Guangyao for his efforts towards the campaign hushed the man.

"Ah, I'm sure that's not what Young Master Wei meant. I guess we'll drop the subject for now", huffed Guangshan with a fake smile. "Kids these days have no manners."

Wei Ying hated how patronising the man was. He hated everyone else's feigned ignorance - the man was a perverted, old, womanising creep with a lust for power and wealth. Until a few months ago, people would openly disapprove of him but now, he was the best thing to happen to them. 

He wanted to rip the shallow bastard's head from his shoulders and he very easily could but out of consideration for the front row guests, he held back.

"Talking of kids, Clan Leader Jiang, What do you say to restarting our two clan's previous wedding alliance. It really was a pity that it was previously cancelled, and for such silly reasons. It is what your mother would have wanted."

Jiang Cheng looked burdened, it was not his decision to make and raising the topic of his mother was insensitive. Glancing around, Wei Ying could see the uncomfortable expressions on everyone involved's faces. 

"We can think about it another time. There is a lot to be done at Yunmeng first - we haven't even a proper memorial for our parents." Jiang Cheng responded.

Wei Ying couldn't take it anymore and stormed out, he was tired of the man's scheming. He found himself a nice spot on the roof tiles and sat down with his alcohol and flute and he played into the night.

Months passed uneventfully. The Lan and Jiang Sects were rebuilding, the Nie training new disciples, and the Jin overseeing the governing of the country. Tensions were high between Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng as their relationship seemed more and more strained, even as Yanli tried to reconcile them. 

Wei Ying would disappear for long periods of time and would never explain his whereabouts and Jiang Cheng was drained and tired from his Sect duties. News of a hunting event at Lanling spread and things began to see improvement. Originally, Wei Ying had wanted to stay t Yunmeng and not participate but at the reminder that a certain future brother-in-law may use the opportunity to make unmonitered advances, he was quickly persuaded. The thought of a certain cultivator who also happened to be attending may or may not have been an influencing factor too.

The event was unrivalled in size and participation and involved a few key stages: first there was the opening which would decide entry into the arena, then the hunt would begin hopefully spanning several days, lastly there would be a grand feast and awards ceremony. No one knew of the exact events of each stage.

On the first day of the hunt, the disciples were led to an archery field and given and overview. Everything was going well, shoot at the target, closer to the bullseye meant a better starting position, but there was a but. 

A rather considerable but from the perspective of Wei Wuxian. They would also be shooting at Wen prisoners of war. They led the meagre group out, shaking with fear and bound by huge chains. No one knew much about how the Wens were being treated however they had assumed the the Jins were treating them reasonably well perhaps even freeing them again but this sight clearly opposed any of those thoughts.

Wei Ying was about to shout, anger visible on his face but a small shaking of the head from Jiang Cheng and a light tug from Lan Wangji stopped him.

Jin Zixuan stepped up first and shot a bullseye first time. While everyone else congratulated, Wei Ying couldn't help but focus on the small, convulsing figure who had fallen to the ground in fright. This was not right. He had to do something to stop this.