Chapter 46

3rd Person POV

He cried as he had never cried before. Even when he knew it was futile, still he poured spiritual energy into Wei Ying with every ounce of his being. They left Lan Zhan alone to mourn and A-Yuan was cared for by Granny. The screams were harrowing no matter how muffled as Lan Zhan struggled to come to terms with his loss. They all heard as he cried himself to sleep, lying next to the cold, stiff corpse of husband.

For two days, they left Lan Zhan alone. The death was announced to the outside world the next day and word spread immediately. It was the juicy gossip that everyone cared about. The crude and degrading rumours that were inevitable in the wake of such an event were impossible to stamp out and spawned anger in the hearts of those who knew him best.

Invitations were sent out to the major clans of Wei Ying's previous acquaintances inviting them to his home for the funeral. The news was so raw and painful that it forced Young Lady Jin (Jiang Yanli) into a fainting spell.

By the third day, Lan Zhan had begun to progress past the denial and had dressed his husband in his best robes ready for the coffin. He emerged from the couple's chambers and carried the prone form bridal style towards the main hall and into the awaiting coffin. The coffin was  not ornate and extravagant but instead elegant and charming in a fashion that perfectly suited it's owner. 

Fresh tears emerged as Lan Zhan placed his lover in his final resting place and let go. He left the village for a while to take a breather and get some clarity. Whilst he was gone, the villagers could then mourn their saviour properly and continue the preparations for the funeral.

Lan Zhan found himself with the rabbits. He vented and ranted his anger for hours before returning. It felt wrong that that familiar form of Wei Ying was not by his side, laughing happily or teasing him. New memories stabbed his already raw wound. That night he slept in an empty bed for the first time in a while. He hated it; he couldn't relax. Eventually, he got up and brought A-yuan to bed with him and it brought him great comfort to know that at least he had this memory of Wei Ying. This living, breathing, being that he would never let anyone take from him.

-------------------------------------------

On the fourth day, members of the outside clans started to arrive. First, came the Yunmeng Jiang Sect and the Lanling Jin Sect - the two Jiang siblings leading the way. Later, came the Gusu Lan Sect with Xichen and Qiren, finally came the Nie Sect and many of the insignificant clans. Their arrival prompted the start of something new and different and Lan Zhan visibly detested it.

Lan Zhan let only a couple close enough to see the body. Jiang Wanyin arrived kicking and screaming with his usual arrogance demanding to see his brother and as much as Lan Zhan loathed the other, he could not refuse him. Jiang Yanli followed her Shidi and together with her husband, they entered the great hall. 

Yanli was crying before she even saw A-Xian and Jiang Cheng couldn't hold in his sadness and guilt. There undeniably dead led his brother. As much as Lan Zhan had combed his hair and smoothed his features, Wei Ying did not look pretty. No. He did not look pretty as he laid there, old scars unhealed and jarring. He did not look at peace. Perhaps it didn't matter. All that mattered was that that figure in the coffin was their beloved. In that first meeting, no one could talk - only the sound of chocked sobbing and wailing broke the silence.

Xichen also came to visit and saw the deep pain etched onto his brothers morose form. He knew there was not much he could do to help so just quickly and quietly completed his greeting. 

Since many people had turned up - more than anyone had anticipated - the village was getting busy. It was not built to hold so many people and the features (such as the lotus flowers...) that had once inspired awe and amazement in the guests were slowly being damaged and degraded. Things were broken at a faster rate that could be fixed and the overall disrespect from the cultivators disgusted the Wens. 

Finally, it got too much for Lan Zhan after he caught some cultivators of a smaller sect spreading malicious rumours about the individual they were supposedly here to grieve.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Cried Lan Zhan, shocking everyone. For most it was the first time they had heard the famed Hanguang-jun talk let alone shout.

"HOW DARE YOU. YOU RATS. YOU DEMONS. How dare you come into Wei Ying's home, damage his things and discredit his name. You loathsome foul things. Leave now. And the rest of you can go too."

Although some protested, eventually all of the people Wei Ying would not have wanted there were removed, leaving Lan Zhan more at ease. He would no longer tolerate outsiders slandering his husband.