Chapter 35

3rd Person POV

"What?!!??!", exclaimed Wei Ying, "What do you mean 'pregnant'?"

"I mean you are carrying a child." Responded Wen Qing calmly.

Wei Ying was still struggling to wrap his head around it.

"But how... why... what..."

Wen Qing sighed, "I didn't think I'd have to explain this to you. Back then when you and Lan Zhan met, you engaged in an act where..."

"Stop! I understand that part obviously, but I'm a man. Men can't get pregnant can they?"

"Well, you appear to be a special case. Since you seem to have perked up, I'll leave now - I have better things to be doing. Don't move around too much or get out of bed. Someone will bring you food. If you accidentally tear any of my stitches, mark my words, you will pay."

And with that she left. What the hell. This was not how Wei Ying had expected this whole arrangement to go. He was going to have a baby. With Lan Zhan. He was confused and struggling to accept it, but still happy nonetheless.

He would need to tell Lan Zhan. But when and how? He didn't want to disturb the man now as he knew he was busy and probably trying to fix his relationship with his Uncle Qiren. Sending a letter felt a little bit insensitive and awkward. In the end he resolved that when Lan Zhan came back to the burial grounds, he would tell him. Until then, it could wait. He had nine moths anyway before things would get complicated.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"1.5 (ish) months later. (At this point Wei Ying is around 2 and a bit months pregnant. Also, if things don't scientifically match up, please don't blame me.)

Everyday that passed in the burial grounds gave way to new progressions - whether that be on the farms, with Wei Ying's famed inventions, on a more domestic level or just life in general. Everyone was thoroughly settled in by this point, and everyday they became closer.

For Wei Ying, things were going well. His morning sickness was still quite bad but most of his other symptoms had weakened due to Wen Qing's remedies. There was still no communications from the outside world (including any news from Lan Zhan) but Wei Ying could tell the man would be back soon. He just knew.

That morning, was like most other mornings. Wei Ying woke and got dressed before joining the others for a late breakfast. Then, Wen Qing gave him a quick checkup before reluctantly sending him off to do chores in the town. That day, he had to purchase some seeds and buy some new clothes and fabrics for the villagers.

The morning passed rather quickly and he had tackled most of the list. It was quite easy since there seemed to be an unusually low number of people around. He was in the perusing the stands for potatoes when a flash of pale blue caught his attention. Swivelling quickly in his place, his eyes locked on the face he had missed fr so long.

"LAN ZHAN!" He shouted as he barrelled towards the unsuspecting man almost knocking the latter over as he crashed into the his arms. The embrace was returned - strong and reassuring.

"Wei Ying! What are you doing here? I was going to meet you at the village?"

"Oh, Wen Qing has me running some errands. Come, in here. My treat. Lets have a meal together before we go back to the village. How have you been?" Rambled Wei Ying

"Mhn. I am fine. I'm sorry it took so long for me to return; Uncle was very angry at my lack of manners and ignorance to his rules. He forced me to copy scriptures and barred me from exiting the mountain."

The conversation continued flowing easily, full of insignificant pieces of news. When the food arrived, Lan Zhan was confused but grateful - all of the food was bland and mild - a million miles away from the red hot spice that he had associated with the boy. In addition, not a single jar of alcohol was in sight, instead Wei Ying drank tea. Lan Zhan decided not to question it. If it was important, someone would mention it later.

In the middle of the meal, Wei Ying began to feel a strange burning sensation on his chest and in horror realised that his talisman had gone off. This was not good - something was wrong at the village. 

Unfortunately for Lan Zhan, Wei Ying failed to communicate this information - merely sprinting off without his belongings and without paying. Settling the bill, Lan Zhan collected all of the other's things before mounting his sword and catching up the man. He quickly picked up the other and they flew back to the village.

It was a mess. Dark energy had escaped from Wei Ying's experiments and was wreaking havoc and causing injury. Wei Ying immediately took out Chenqing and tamed it before trapping it back inside his cave. This shouldn't have happened if no one had trespassed into his room. He needed an explanation, and it came in the form of a loud Wen Ning-sounding roar.

"Wei Ying, Wen Ning has escaped. No time to explain." Said Wen Qing

"Lan Zhan, we must stop him before he reaches the town or he'll cause serious harm."

He didn't bother to explain who would be on the receiving end of the harm - Wen Ning, Wei Ying, townsfolk... but the meaning was clearly implied.

With the combined effort of Chenqing and Wangji (the Guqin), the two finally cornered Wen Ning. The fact that he had regained mobility meant that he was extremely close to regaining consciousness and the present acted as a key turning point on whether or not he would ever recover. Wei Ying needed to get in close and operate an assortment of talismans to suppress and control his energy. This was easier said than done.

On the first attempt, Wei Ying was send reeling with a blow to the abdomen but after recomposing himself he launched another attack and slowly Wen Ning was controlled. The boy released one final, guttural, roar before visibly slumping slightly. When the boy looked up, it was clear for any onlooker to see, he had regained consciousness.

"Lan Zhan! I did it! I told you I'd do it, I said I'd fix him! Even against all the odds, I've brought him back." Exclaimed Wei Ying gleefully.

"Mhn, you did." Came the equally pleased response.