Chapter 43 - Meeting A-yuan

3rd Person POV

"What?" , mumbled Wei Ying half awake. Before Lan Zhan could reiterate what he had said, Wei Ying felt a sharp pain in his abdomen; his contractions had started.

(Author's Note: Few things - 1. I'm sorry if I mess up certain things in terms of order... 2. I don't really want to spend time thinking about the logistics of how he is having a baby, but we'll just amount it to 'magic'. He managed to get pregnant so we will assume the baby is going to come out the way it went in? I don't know. Don't question it too profoundly. Enjoy!)

Lan Zhan ran over to Wen Qing's quarters and pounded heavily on the door. Together, they then rushed back to Wei Ying before Wen Qing began her examinations. They needed to try to deliver the baby naturally as surgery would be very risky and he had neither the experience nor the tools to execute it properly. From now on it was a waiting game.

The contractions were still quite far apart so Wei Ying just tried to relax and do breathing exercises. He felt tired already but he couldn't sleep so he lay anxiously with Lan Zhan.

The contractions were really painful: his whole lower body felt like it was on fire and there was no further signs that the baby was coming. After several hours, he was in an extremely bad mood. The anticipation and excitement had temporarily worn off and were replaced with frustration and mood swings. Lan Zhan tried as best as possible to comfort his husband however he was met with angry shouts of, " Lan Zhan I can't believe I let you do this to me."," You are never going to touch me again. " and "This is all your fault!"

Finally after almost ten hours the baby was almost there. After one final push, Wei Ying felt ready to fall into an eternal sleep. And then the first, small cries of a baby could be heard throughout the room and Wei Ying felt ready to go through it all again just for that one moment.

"Congratulations! It's a boy!" Exclaimed Wen Qing holding out the little bundle of joy to Wei Ying.

Wei Ying couldn't hold back the tears and cried softly as the baby was placed on his chest. It was so adorable and it was his. He had a family now. Everything from the tips of his tiny little toes to the short dark hairs on his head was perfect.

"He's beautiful Wei Ying. What's his name?"

"A-yuan".

---------------------------------------------------------------

Parenthood suited the couple unlike anything else. They spent hours and hours loving and caring for their baby, ensuring him the best start. They tended to his every want and need before even the child could sense it. As he grew older, he began to look more and more similar to his parents so the likeness was irrefutable. He was the perfect combination. 

His eyes were deep and dark but flecked with sparks of bright gold. His face was well proportioned with Wuxian's smile and Wangji's nose. His laugh was bright and innocent and his manner was sage and quiet. The perfect combination of the two characters in every aspect.

A-Yuan grew surrounded by a constant shower of love and care. From one month to three months to a year. Where had the time gone? Wei Wuxian looked at his little darling and marvelled at how fast he'd grown. Secretly, Lan Zhan and himself worried over the fact that he would outgrow them.

On the other side of things, Wei Ying had gotten much weaker with the progression of his symptoms: he couldn't walk for long periods or overly exert himself: he took tonics and pills every morning to combat the pounding migraines and the faintness; and he would occasionally experience severe seizures. Although the though was forcefully pushed to the back of everyone's minds, it was clear that the happiness couldn't last forever. Wei Ying did not have much time left.

Lan Zhan spent as much time as humanly possible in the Burial Mounds whilst still returning to the cloud recesses every now and again to check up on his Shixiong. He loved being a father, especially to a son like A-yuan. A-yuan would forever remain as proof of Wei Ying and as proof of his husband's love. He wanted very much to be able to show off his offspring to his brother and Wei Ying's family but he knew he couldn't yet. He hoped that in future, his son would be able to take the Cloud Recesses as his second home and be welcomed here.

In the outside world, Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan were finally scheduled to be married and life was peaceful. People's hatred towards the Yiling Laozu seemed to be reducing. Wei Wuxian finally got to fulfil his wish to see his beloved Shijie in a wedding dress and of course the wedding was perfect. He didn't actually get to see it in person but Lan Zhan showed him later through Empathy.

When Lan Yuan was 15 months old, Wei Ying finally had to give in. It was time to be selfless again. It was obvious that he was fading fast but he still retained one goal before he died - he needed to destroy the Stygian Tiger Seal. He could not be at peace knowing that it was still around, able to fall into uncontrolled possession. One night, he pulled Lan Zhan away from dinner early to talk.

"Lan Zhan, you must hear me out. You and I both know that my death is soon approaching, perhaps I have a year or not even. Before I go I need to do some things and make some hard decisions which you will not dissuade me from. While I want to spend as much time with you and Yuan as possible, I cannot be selfish. I must eradicate the Stygian Tiger Seal which will undoubtedly accelerate my death. It must be me. I started the issue so I shall end it. I hope that in doing so I will make the world at least a tiny bit safer for our baby. I think that I will leave in a month."

Lan Zhan new that this moment was coming and yet his heart still bled. One month. Only one singular month left. He felt angry at the world and even at Wei Ying for being such a hero - for being the only one who was not afraid to do what was truly right. There was no way they would know how long Wei Ying would have left after the aftermath of destroying the seal but they did know that what remained of life for Wei Ying would be excruciating and hard. He would be almost entirely dependant on others and he would never be able to restore the perfect image of his features. 

His Wei Ying was going to die.