Chapter 31

Authors Note:

At the moment, the comments seem to be leaning towards A-yuan being biological so we'll go with that for now and see where it goes. I hope you enjoy and thanks to everyone that has helped me decide - I'm too indecisive. (UPDATE: I wrote this when I started writing this chapter but due to my inability to complete things / heavy procrastination, voting may have changed ideas)

-------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person POV

(Sorry if I don't go into too much detail on the main scene at Qiongqi path - everyone probably knows what happens and I feel like if I wrote it out it would feel rushed and not convey all the emotions...)

The rain poured that night - slicing like blades through the impenetrable darkness. Blood ran in rivers through the valley spreading its persistent stain: a longstanding reminder. The fight was over for some, and only at its beginning for others. 

Wei Ying had liberated all of the Wens on the site - mainly relations of Wen Qing's family - and together they rode under his lead into their future. There was no one that could change his course now. 

A lone figure stood in the distance, stark in white. Lan Zhan. Wei Ying could not bring himself to face Lan Zhan at the moment - so many unsaid things were left between them. He dreaded seeing the man as much as he dreaded to see his shijie or shidi for that man had the potential to make him waver. 

The atmosphere was morose and melancholy and Lan Zhan would not interfere in their passage. After a short exchange the men parted ways, full of regret for what could never be. The group had almost entirely passed when suddenly Lan Zhan called out.

"I cannot stay for now, but expect me the day after tomorrow. Wei Ying, I will come to you."

A shiver raced down his spine. Would he really come? Defy the sects to help him out? Would he get a chance to properly talk to the Lan boy about the events of the past few days? He was in a rush so couldn't properly respond but gave a friendly wave before he galloped off into the distance.

He had little ideas of where they would go, one place stuck in the back of his mind. Sure, it was better than nothing but could he really subject these innocents who had blindly followed him to such a difficult life in the burial mounds? The decision was made for him. There was no where else.

------------------------------------------------------------

The next few days were chaos in the world of cultivation. Sect elders were rushed to Lanling, troops called to defend the clans whilst others searched for (and later tried to overcome) the Wens. Word spread like fire and rumours circulated wildly, unavoidably escalating the situation.

'Wei Ying is rebelling against all of the clans and trying to conquer the cultivational world'

'The evil Wens are planning to reclaim their dictatorship'

'The Yiling Patriarch, founder of demonic cultivation will stop at nothing to get his way'

'Hide your children, the blood-lusting, satanic, trickster Wei Wuxian will prey on your families and take no prisoners'

The nature gradually became worse and worse inflicting pain and insult upon those involved, an insurmountable obstruction on a previously clear path. Yanli could not remove herself from her quarters whilst Jiang Cheng worried and stressed, anger and hopelessness building. Concern was etched deep into the faces of the famously impassive Lans and the mighty Hanguang-jun was rarely present, and when he did appear it was as though a ghost was their in his place.