Chapter 10 - Mourning

After the initial shock following the groups arrival, the sect leaders and representatives left for a conference in the main hall. Everything was a mess and the sense of loss, grief and sadness was strong. Disciples had been sent out to try and locate Lan Wangji but with resources low, they couldn't begin a full scale search for the man. Xichen knew that if Wangji wanted revenge on the Wen's, no one could have stopped him but he prayed his brother hadn't done anything too stupid and hadn't completely disregarded his health. He was quickly realising how huge of an impact that benevolent, jovial, lively boy had had on everyone, not just his brother. It seemed everyone had known him in some way, everyone was somehow indebted to the boy and everyone was personally saddened by the loss. He had been a symbol of hope, a benefactor, a resilient light in darkness, but it was over. The remaining few flickers of light extinguished from all their eyes.

But in its place now resided an insatiable thirst for vengeance. Where before they looked to the boy as a symbol of the future, they now swore to avenge his loss, penitence and anguish for their failures to win. The disciples gathered outside waiting for the results of the conference, a new will burning in their souls: a will to fight, to be brave and to sacrifice as he had. He, their valued shixiong.

Inside, was a disorganised maelstrom. The Jiang siblings were shocked and dazed, crying silent tears whilst desperately clutching hold of one another. Zewujun was clearly agitated but selflessly trying to make plans to announce. Next to him, Jin Zixuan tried to assist but his distracted eyes glanced anxiously over to Yanli, debating between head and heart. Nie Huaisang had also joined them but was of practically no use at the best of times (today definitely not being one of those).

The group had pieced together the truth from Jiang Cheng and some of the accompanying Lan disciples and were formulating their future attacks. They didn't have much information on the Wen's current positions however they heard that there were a lot of soldiers at Qishan and smaller groups in Yiling, Yunmeng and Qinghe. Figuring that it would be hard to launch an attack on Qinghe due to its proximity to Qishan, they intended to split into smaller groups and attack isolated areas. Assuming that Lan Wangji would eventually return, they planned for the Jiang Sect and the Lan Sect to head to Yiling, whilst the Jin and Nie sects attacked other areas nearby before joining together to march on Lotus Cove and reclaim Yunmeng. Lan Xichen and Jiang Yanli would stay with the larger group. They would then take back Gusu and build up strength, plans and resources before the final attacks at Qinghe and Qishan.

After several hours of tedious decision making and anxiety, the plans were finally announced to the awaiting disciples. Their new found vigour had led to a temporary high morale filled with determination and the plans were set to be put in place as soon as possible.

The last disciples had also returned from their search for Hanguangjun unsuccessful in their tireless pursuit. Lan Xichen was worried. Very worried. He hoped Lan Wangji had escaped alive and uninjured and - under normal circumstances - he should have however he was unsure how the news of Wei Wuxian's death would have affected him.

Would it have made him reckless? depressed? vengeful? Would he still make as much of an effort to return, would his judgement be clouded with regret and guilt? There were so many unknowns. That night, Xichen tossed and turned all night unable to achieve a restful sleep. But eventually, the night passed and the sun lit up the morning sky again.

Today, everyone was stocking and transferring food and arms, training and preparing for the imminent battles. The training field was packed. Even Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng were practising with their newly reacquired swords. The sky was clear and another calm day took shape.

Xichen was stood watching over the preparations when suddenly a scrawny red faced Jin Sect disciple ran up to him. He was severely out of breath and panting heavily. "Greetings Zewujun. Excuse my impolite manner but we think we can see your brother."

--------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Hello! Sorry this is another filler type of chapter however I'll try to update again soon!! Apologies for not updating this past week, I have had a very busy festive week. I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas (to those who celebrate) and to those who don't I hope you have had a lovely holiday. Fingers crossed the coming New Year will be an improvement and life can become a bit more normal. Please vote and comment any feedback on this chapter!!!!!