Chapter 1 - The Sunshot Campaign pt1

Lan Wangji POV
Wei Ying has been missing for two months. We have searched relentlessly with no success. Even after the Jiang Sect recalled their disciples for fighting, I have returned again and again, looking for any sign that he's safe, that he's alive but every time I return disheartened. I am sure that the Wens must have attacked, ambushed or cheated him as he is not the kind to disappear and he is strong enough to defeat any fair opponent. I can only hope that whatever tortuous circumstance he has found himself in will be dissolved and his unmatched resilience will keep him going.

After the attack on Lotus Pier, the sects have united to bring down the Wen sect. Originally, the fighting spirit was high and the goal was clear however as this war drags on, the attacks have become weak and disorganised with huge casualties piling up every day. The stakes have risen and we've crossed the point of no return but the disciples are weak and untrained - many from smaller allied sects - and without progress soon the campaign will collapse. Soon Sect Leader Jiang and I will infiltrate the education department of Qishan to regain our swords and look for information on Wei Ying.

"Knock, knock". A polite and quiet knock came from the door. "Wangji, it's me."
"Brother, come in" I responded.

The door opened silently revealing Lan Xichen solemnly staring at me. He crossed the room before sitting across the table from me.

"Are you okay?"
"Hmn"
"What are you doing?"
"Copying out scriptures" I replied. "Any news?" It was obvious what I meant. By this point I was no longer hopeful as I had been at the start.
"No. Nothing new on the Wei Wuxian side. Mingjue and the troops sent out to the border have returned defeated and listless. I'm worried - everyone has suffered for too long. Morale is low and before long this Sunshot campaign will probably be forced to end."
"Hmn"
"Sect Leader Jiang asked me to inform you that he intends on leaving for Qishan in 3 days. I assume you have no objections. Be careful Wangji. Promise me you won't hurt yourself, it's not worth it."
"Hmn"

I assumed Brother had nothing else to tell me and could see that I wasn't in the mood for discussion. We sat in silence for the rest of the morning, quietly copying out books together. The atmosphere was tenser than usual but l wasn't going to try and fix it. Fixing the tension meant talking and I didn't want to talk; talking reminded me of Wei Ying... I could sense Xichen staring at me, his eyes imploring me to acknowledge him and to open up, but it was futile and he eventually gave up.

"I need to go now Wangji, but always remember if you need anything, you can talk to me."
"Hmn"

And with that he left leaving me again to my thoughts.
______________________________________

Lan Xichen POV
Wangji is different. Although others may not be able to tell, something is very wrong with my brother. I have my suspicions - I am convinced it has something to do with Wei Ying. I never realised how much of an impact he had on my brother until he was gone. Looking back, after the Jiang's left Gusu he seemed a bit too isolated, even after the ordeal at the Xuanwu cave he had been agitated, however I had assumed that was due to the rising threat from the Wen sect.  But this time was way worse.

He seems as though hes dead, the life sucked out of him. In a way, Wei Ying was his only close friend: he has no one else to turn to now he's gone. He seems to still retain hope that Wei Ying is alive but even he in his heart must recognise that Childe Wei is probably never returning. Sure he was a prodigy of sorts, powerful and crafty with a strong sense of life and unbreakable optimism but against the Wens he wouldn't stand much of a chance. Nothing is too low for them. As long as they achieve their desired outcome, the Wens will ambush, outnumber and cheat others and with figures such as Core Melting Hand and the power of the Yin metal, would he have been able to survive?

------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter. Sorry it's quite short, I will try to update soon. Hopefully you won't find the plot too slow, there will be a few contextual / lead-up chapters before the main plot. If you have any suggestions feel free to comment.