⭒2⭒

Sleeping throughout the three hours of the plane ride, it finally landed in Madrid. I made sure to freshen up before making my way out.

Police men were draped around the perimeter of the airport with guns strapped around their arms. Once I was through security and found my baggage, I instantly spotted lameesa and her family, holding a big sign that read 'Bienvenida a madrid Laila'

Smiling, I ran towards her and hugged the day lights out of her. Soon I was enveloped by Kira and Sajdah, her younger twin sisters. Uncle gave me his blessings, patting my head and auntie gave me a bone crushing hug.

"Welcome dear. You've gone so big. How are you bonita?"

"I'm okay auntie, how are you?"

"Alhamdulillah good. You must be tired Dear, let's go. Girls im sure you'll get plenty of time to catch up at home. Yallah" immediately lameesa and her sisters let go of me and soon we made our way back to their house. The weather was pretty cold here in Madrid, since it was October and I'm glad I bought my puffy coat with me. Alhamdulillah.

Once we reached their house, I was overwhelmed by the food they had set out on the table for me, within five minutes. I didn't know what to say but look up at auntie and give her my most grateful smile.

"Auntie, we are family you didn't have to go to such lengths for all this" I say gesturing to all the amazing spanish and arabic food set out.

"This is what family does." uncle instead replied. "You are just like my daughter, if not better" he said cheekily smiling at his daughters who just playfully rolled their eyes and continued to serve me.

"Jazakallah khairun. Uncle. I don't know what to say"

"Don't mention it habibti" he waved his hand in dismissal and motioned for me to start eating. I thank lameesa and her sisters before digging in.

"Mashallah auntie, this is amazing. I've never tried this before" I say referring to the tapas and paella.

"Thank you habibti. Sajdah helped me make this" she exclaimed, making the 15 year old blush in return. Cutie.

"Wow Sajdah, blessings to your hands. This is to die for" I said taking another bite. Truly. This is heaven. It came almost close to my mum's curries, almost. But then again mamas my mum and I can't compare her amazing dishes to anybody else's.

"Thank you" she mumbled, hiding herself behind her spoon fulls of food.

"How do you feel about working in an actual hospital Laila. Will you study alongside this too?" Auntie raised up the question, whilst filling my plate up again. For the second time. As much as I refused, she wouldn't back down.

"Thank you auntie. And yes I'm very excited to be working with patients and finding out the solutions to different problems. But as for my studies, working at the hospital contributes to that, as my daily chart would be given back to the university professors weekly"

"Ahh. I see. Well, I pray it goes well for you habibti. Making your parents name shimmer with pride" auntie smiles at me whilst looking at her husband who nods and smiles proudly. Ever since I was little, both our families would visit each other In the summer. We had always seen each other as family, practically growing up in each others houses and making beautiful memories. 

"How is your family dear? Is everything going well? I'm sure your mum's still up to burning a few things here and there" we all shared a hearty laugh, before I replied

"Yes alhamdulillah all is well. And you know. She's still burning stuff, but babas there to make sure she remembers before anything serious happens" I smile, shaking my head again at the many memories of mum burning food.