⭒59⭒

Let's get this chapter to 150+ votes!! The next chapter is already written so it's all down to you guys now!!

I really wanted to name this chapter as 59: Laila the trickster, but IK that my readers scroll through the chapters first, and if they read the title for the chapter, they would probably get a gist of what's gonna go down :,-) It pains me, but yeah, you can now proceed to the remainder of this chapter. Let me know how it is!

-Laila the trickster-
The writer is always tricking their reader
Into listening to their dream
{Joan Didion}
_____

Tuesday 15th October, Madrid Police station, Spain: 3:35pm.

Being here right now was a much more easier and less daunting task in my head. The building read 'Policia Local' and I couldn't help but think what made me arrive here. So much happened in this past week of being in Spain.

The wind was picking up its speed. My coat doing nothing but allowing my body heat to escape. The sky was grey, awaiting a storm to happen very soon.

One moment me and Lameesa were sat patiently waiting for the police officer before us to reply back on our case. And in the next moment, Officer Bernando was lying in a pool of his own blood.

Lameesa from beside me shrieked out like an animal untamed, as fresh, warm blood clutched to our clothes and skin. I felt sick, and before I had time to do so, I quickly rushed me and Lameesa behind one of the desks. I could hear the prayers that she whispered under her breath.

The alarm was deafening and it didn't help that gunshots were going off simultaneously. I had to press my hands against my ears in order to tone down the horror.

A man was perched against the entrance, looking directly at me. His outfit was small on him and I'd realised then this was the physical nightmare I'd faced multiple sleepless nights and turmoil for. A sickening feeling appeared in my gut. He was bad news. His hand floated in the air, waving at me and in that moment, that action alone was enough to paralyse me.

With a single blink he was gone.

My widened eyes met Lameesas' scared ones, but for an entirely different reason. Her reaction told me she didn't witness the man stood there seconds before. Could he have been a police officer? Or was he in disguise? Her face reflected mine. Those same widened eyes that couldn't believe what was happening.

After a few minutes of sitting there in our thoughts, two female police officers came up to us asking if we were okay. One of them clasped onto my hand as if to soothe me. But something was amiss. Just before she could let go she clasped my own hand in itself, into a fist.

She'd given me a paper.

I felt as if the weight of the world resided upon my shoulders in that moment.

"Estas Bien?" The other one asked.

We nodded in fear. I couldn't trust no one. That guy was surely a police officer right? Or was he an imposter? And if he was, it meant he was after me. There was simply no other explanation.

It was after an hour exactly that we reached home. Both of us too shook from the incident, we excused ourselves to our rooms. There I finally had time to open the letter addressed to me. One was from the imposter and another was from the police How they knew me, I did not know. I decided to read the Police officer's one first, because from hereon out I knew the worst was yet to come.

The police department of Madrid would like to aid you in your situation regarding your complaint. We had been informed that you have been receiving suspicious letters from the most dangerous and sought after Mafia of Spain, upon you being able to identify their stamps. Their leader has never been seen by the public, which makes your job as our ally, much more crucial. Through you, we believe we are one step closer to justice. On behalf of the Police department of Madrid, I would like to meet with you personally and discuss further arrangements.